The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an '07 Elise that needs a front clam, passenger's headlight, and passenger's front turn signal.

I understand that there are some differences in the way the 05-06 and 07+ headlights are built.

I also understand that there are some mounting/dimensional differences in the 05-06 front clam and the 07 front clam.

So I found an 05 front clam in decent shape. I have an 07 driver's side headlight and turn signal.

Will the 07 headlight simply slide right in on the 05 clam, or will it require modification?

Would one be able to tell the difference if I had one 07+ headlight and one 05+ headlight?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Your '07 headlight assembly will not fit an '05/'06 clam. The buckets that the assembly fits in are entirely different. Even if you say "grafted" a bucket into one side so you could get it to fit, the '05/'06 assemblies, surrounds and cover are pretty different looking from the '07 and later. The headlamps are mounted higher up in the housing and the marker lamp is in a different location.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think there was someone on this board that has either an '05 or an '06 and after being in an accident replaced their front clam and headlights with '07 components. So if I am correct in remembering this, I would think the opposite could be done.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there was someone on this board that has either an '05 or an '06 and after being in an accident replaced their front clam and headlights with '07 components. So if I am correct in remembering this, I would think the opposite could be done.
Do you remember who did it? Perhaps they could shed some more light on this. :)

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
614 Posts
i have been trying the search feature but cant seem to find info....

i had my radiator hose snap off and leak fluid everywhere...brought it to the dealership and they fixed it.

next day of driving i saw the front driver side turn signal lamp fly out of the socket and dangle! brought it back and they just snapped another one into place. same thing just happened today to the same signal lamp (broken clips).

anyone know where to buy a replacement?
its a 2005 elise.

i guess this might be the part number B117M0018F

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Something to keep in mind with 07 - I know that the Exige has two different clams for that year. One that is for cars built prior to January 2007 and another for those afterward. It mostly has to do with the bumper changes that went into effect then. They had the new headlights for all model year 07 but chose to wait until the Jan 2007 deadline to put the bumper requirements into production. For the front, I understand there is some minor structural changes - the rear also but also has the bumperettes in the grill and diffuser structural changes.

If I recall correctly, the Elise will have the same changes contingent on that timeframe.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts

i had my radiator hose snap off and leak fluid everywhere...brought it to the dealership and they fixed it.

next day of driving i saw the front driver side turn signal lamp fly out of the socket and dangle! brought it back and they just snapped another one into place. same thing just happened today to the same signal lamp (broken clips).

its a 2005 elise.

TADTS - the replacements are just as likely to break. There are a couple of fixes - I use the one on the sandsmuseum site.

·
Registered
190 Posts

its a 2005 elise.

The mounting point where the signal clips in needs to be trimmed back. I have had to do this on dozens of cars. I use an air dremel to grind out a small amount of material untill the light "snaps" audibly into place. A pretty easy fix with the right tool.

As far as the year change differences go, Vishus is right about them adding the bumpers and different support components for the late 07 cars. But none of those will affect an early clam from bolting onto a late car. The only major difference are the headlight mounts, which are not interchangeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts