Votes: 72 63.2%
  • 2011- Newer, with fewer seams and integrated signals

Votes: 42 36.8%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My vote is with the classic funky style. I don't like the new ones as much. I am referring to the aesthetics - not drag coefficients.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Well, someone has to disagree, so I will.

I prefer the new version. I think it makes for a bolder, more aggressive look.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I like the older style Elise too...
+1

I just saw the white Elise for sale and thought "I like the looks of the earlier model clam and the newer front clam makes it look too bulky", but I haven't seen one in person.
I definitely don't like the bumperettes in the rear. Why the U.S. can't let low production car companies be, is beyond me. ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
av8or21
40 Posts
I have no problems with the older style but I think the refresh was necessary. Then again, I didn't buy the car for its looks!

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Its funny, with the newer one they did stuff people were modding anyway, such as getting rid of the troublesome turn signals, putting mesh on the elise, etc.

For me something got lost in translation. On paper it should be better looking but when I look at it I think its less aggressive and less distinct than the earlier front end. I will say that I think the newer front end looks better in person than in pictures.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess for me the old style , for better or worse, sets the car apart from others. The new style sends the look to a more "generic" vanilla place imo. The 2011 clam is not ugly, it's kind of cool. Just not as differentiated from other cars as the old style. For me, the funniest part is that when I first began looking at the car to purchase, my first thoughts were...get rid of those turn signals.... fill in those seams..
Then those turn signals and seams grew on me...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think the new style looks better on certain colors, it does grow on you after a while.

I didn't like the new style at first because I thought it was ugly, but now I like it more so then the old style.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
i guess for me the old style , for better or worse, sets the car apart from others. The new style sends the look to a more "generic" vanilla place imo. The 2011 clam is not ugly, it's kind of cool. Just not as differentiated from other cars as the old style. For me, the funniest part is that when I first began looking at the car to purchase, my first thoughts were...get rid of those turn signals.... fill in those seams..
Then those turn signals and seams grew on me...
Technically the 'old style' is the S1. True, the S1 was not legally brought into the U.S., but since this poll is all about aesthetics, perhaps you should include the S1.

If you do, I want to change my vote.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you are right. I too was going to buy an S1 back in '97 , until i found out there was not going to be a US car.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I chose old, but I only like it better with the turn signals filled. Otherwise I prefer the newer style. The old turn signals look like cold sores.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I like the new style, but I may be biased. The clincher for me though was no turn signals to pop out. Considering the amount of long mountain road trips I take, that one is HUGE. The styling is just a bonus.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Now what might be worth a poll is the 2011 rear versus the older rear.

I think the 2011 rear looks better than the older stock rear. But the loss of ability to go over the diffuser exhaust is a pretty big trade-off.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I used to like the old style more. Now I like both styles.

The funny thing was I once saw the new style at the Lotus dealer and it didn't even register in my mind that it was any different.

·
Registered
406 Posts
On the Exige I used to like the '06-'09 better, but after buying a 2010 I have gotten to prefer it, especially with carbon fiber louvers. Anytime I see one of the older ones now all I see is the Mazda smiley face.

On the Elise, however, my opinion is different. I dont particularly care for the Ferrari California, regardless of with a Ferrari badge on the front or a Lotus badge, the front end still bores me.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I like the older style, however, the newer style does look more modern (mostly because of the LEDs and has a resemblance to the Ferrari California).

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Now what might be worth a poll is the 2011 rear versus the older rear.

I think the 2011 rear looks better than the older stock rear. But the loss of ability to go over the diffuser exhaust is a pretty big trade-off.
I like that the fins have been removed off the rear, but hate those bumperettes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts