The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***NOT SELLING THESE ANY MORE, RAN OUT go to www.mcmaster.com if you'd like to buy the materials to make them yourself.***

I did not like the current solutions for front clam protection.

The ragnorak racing kit is $90, which is very expensive for coverage that is less than optimal. There is polyurethane in areas that don't need it and no polyurethane in areas that are commonly scraped. In fact, you can't even buy this kit anymore because it seems like the owner cannot be contacted.

link to ragnorak kit:
http://www.ragnorakracing.com/catalog/item/2240746/1857876.htm

The Lotus Polycarbonate piece, which costs $300 just does not look good in my opinion.

here's a link to it:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=175195&postcount=20

So I went and found some 3M abrasion resistant polyurethane and made my own a while ago. The stuff has an adhesive backing. I bought a 1/8 inch thick big sheet, (24x24) which cost me about $150 after shipping (unfortunately, you can't get this stuff at your local hardware store). When I cut out the pieces, I tried to cover the parts that would most likely get scraped when going up and down driveways and speed bumps. Let's face it, nobody is going to scrape the clam as far back as the ragnorak kit goes!! So far, it has worked well and has saved me from one gas station driveway scrape. Of course, it's not going to help you if you ram into a parking curb or go down a driveway super fast. I've tried thinner pieces of rubber, but they did not work nearly as well because they were not hard enough and concrete just went right through it. This polyurethane piece is pretty much invisible unless you bend down and look.

If you want a set:
If you would like a set, I take paypal to [email protected] or money order/cahsier's check. I can also take credit card through my website. They will be $45 + $5 shipping. Feel free to ask me any questions about the kit as well! I'm glad to contribute to the Elisetalk community.

Attachments

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I like that idea since I already have scrapes in exactly those areas, and your kit would have probably prevented those...
Do you have any pics of it installed?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics on the car

Here are the pictures. Sorry I do not have a lift to take better pics!

The ones that I will be cutting for people (if anybody wants them) will be about an inch beefier (going to the back of the clam more). My own set is a little thinner, but it has worked perfectly for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
raggedy1 said:
In your 2nd pic it looks like the front edge/corner extends beyond the body a little. Is that right????
It sure does look like that in the pic, but it does not stick out like that in person. I guess it's just a deceptive picture. I think you can see from the first pic that it doesn't extend beyond the body

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
You have another PM

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Another PM sent.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This looks like a good approach. I have some damage in that area right now, but if I ever get it fixed, I might have to get this.

Can these pieces be removed if there's ever a need for it?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Shouldn't we assume they WILL require replacing if you scape them?

I mean this isn't some miracle material that will slide over concrete without getting any marks, is it? The benefit is that these pieces will take the scraping instead of the clam. They are much easier and cheaper to replace once in a while instead of your clam. That's the whole point, right?

xtn

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ConeFusion said:
This looks like a good approach. I have some damage in that area right now, but if I ever get it fixed, I might have to get this.

Can these pieces be removed if there's ever a need for it?
Yes, I've removed one of the ones that I scraped and replaced it with another. The adhesive comes off easy and does not leave a mess. If anyone wants a replacement piece, I can cut one for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xtn said:
Shouldn't we assume they WILL require replacing if you scape them?

I mean this isn't some miracle material that will slide over concrete without getting any marks, is it? The benefit is that these pieces will take the scraping instead of the clam. They are much easier and cheaper to replace once in a while instead of your clam. That's the whole point, right?

xtn
Xtn, you are completely correct. The material has a high abrasion resistance. However, if it is a big scrape, it will probably be best to replace the piece with a new one. I can make replacement pieces for really cheap if anyone needs.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I was going to do something very similar to this. I had seen a Black Elise at Newport that had done something similar and it seemed to do the trick. Nice job.

Jacob

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If anybody had scraped up one piece and needs replacements, they will be just $9 each + $3 shipping.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
My kit came in today...:clap:
It looks very functional and is perfect to give me that extra peace-of-mind when going up driveways or over speed bumps.
Not that you don't have to be careful anymore, but at least you know that the first thing you'll scrape is not the couple $1000 front clam but a piece of vinyl which is cheap and easy to replace!

Thanks 2SPORTY for the great idea! :bow:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts