The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to remove the front clam this week to perform some additional clam modifications and remove the remaining AC.

Is there anything else that is highly encouraged while the clam is off?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
With the front clam off, consider an aluminum radiator, upgrade the horn, add stainless brake lines, and blower motor resistor pack R&R (probably not applicable to you)

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I should have mentioned in my opening thread that there are already SS brake lines in place.

I'll post up pics as I proceed and the finished work.

With the front clam off, consider an aluminum radiator, upgrade the horn, add stainless brake lines, and blower motor resistor pack R&R (probably not applicable to you)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I barely use AC and was thinking of taking it out, too.
How hard is removing AC?
Any detailed DIY thread you are following?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have taken the clam off now a couple of times to fix the blower resistor pack that blew. It really isn't that difficult just be patient and take your time. I am thinking about writing up a detailed post about things I encountered as well as problems and other tidbits of knowledge.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If would at least pressure test the cooling system if you don't plan replacing the radiator to a 100% aluminum aftermarket setup. The stock radiator end tanks are made of plastic and can leak over the long-term. If there is any leak there, would be nice to know as the clam is off.

I figured out my stock radiator was bad after pressure testing my cooling system two winters ago. It can't hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestions.

I'll put together the instructions on my website under the Tech section with pictures. While I'm at it I'll be installing my newly constructed front brake cooling kit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Planning to remove the front clam this week to perform some additional clam modifications and remove the remaining AC.

Is there anything else that is highly encouraged while the clam is off?
That would give you room to mount your battery and washer bottle up front.:D

Don't forget to protect the lower corners of the windshield when removing and installing the front clam.

Cheers,
Bob L

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Mate - work starts tomorrow, will keep you all posted. :wink2:

That would give you room to mount your battery and washer bottle up front.:D

Don't forget to protect the lower corners of the windshield when removing and installing the front clam.

Cheers,
Bob L

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It's easier to remove the front clam than it is the rear since you don't have to take your entire interior apart.

AC removal isn't really worth the weight savings and especially not worth it when you consider that reinstallation is much more difficult with contaminated lines (you can't remove the lines). Think about resale and residual value.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It's easier to remove the front clam than it is the rear since you don't have to take your entire interior apart.

AC removal isn't really worth the weight savings and especially not worth it when you consider that reinstallation is much more difficult with contaminated lines (you can't remove the lines). Think about resale and residual value.

This is great to know as I always thought the front would be much harder. I want to replace my radiator as a preventative measure.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a small update for those interested, the front clam removal took approx 2 hours - first time. The most time consuming part was the loosening of the two bolts within the door hinge area.

No drama and on to removing the condenser which is proving to be a challenge.

Clam is undergoing updates and will post up pics when it's done.

·
Registered
539 Posts
No drama and on to removing the condenser which is proving to be a challenge.

Clam is undergoing updates and will post up pics when it's done.
Yes I'm bumping this from the dead. I need to get the condenser replaced, curious what issues you were seeing that were proving to be a challenge? Any additional thoughts now that the job is (presumably) done?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts