The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday evening I did my first ever front clam removal on our 2005 Elise. Then today I began the blower resistor pack replacement, successfully fishing the orange wire up to splice and new section on. Tomorrow the new resistor pack gets installed. A huge THANK YOU to all of those that have posted terrific information on this and other sites making the taks much easier to do.

Clearly our car has had the front clam off in the past. The mystery of why the driver door would not stay open like the passenger door was uncovered. Whomever the nitwit was that had the calm off at some point in the past either failed to install the bolts or didn't tighten them...the driver side hinge cover and assorted plated behind it were flopping around with no fasteners. A few shines were under bolt heads rather than between the clam and chassis.

Now a question... There was a not quite square piece of foam and a small fiberglass part that appeared to be randomly laying in the nose. Photo of them attached. Where might these go?

Hope everyone is healthy and fiddling with your cars.

Ken

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
There's a bunch to pick from if you google foam in lotus elise front clam but try this for starters....https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/mystery-foam-piece-from-front-clam.475372/

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a bunch to pick from if you google foam in lotus elise front clam but try this for starters....https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/mystery-foam-piece-from-front-clam.475372/
Thanks. That is definitely the foam piece. Now where does the other part go?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
That other piece looks like the door spring (parts 13,14, or 25), especially since you say the door doesn't latch open:

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other item in the photo is fiberglass. But the door hinge related spring plates were in fact flopping around in the hinge cover with no fasteners in place. That has now been fixed.

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out where the foam bit goes but I'm still stumped on this molded plastic part. Anyone know where it goes?

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
You didn't find any corresponding areas that were cleaner on the underside of the clam or top of mating surfaces? Those are good profile shots! Do they match any other profiles under the clam? Where exactly did you find it? Near the foam? You've got a good one here!

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Black side maybe attached side and something overlapping when it got sprayed?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is your car red? That part may not even be from a Lotus. Surgeons sometimes accidentally leave sponges and foreign objects inside their patients. It doesn't mean they belong there. Just saying.

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is red and this mystery part clearly has red overspray on it. There is also a capital A molded on it. Otherwise no markings of any kind.

·
Oddcarnut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mystery solved. That plastic piece should be attached to the underside of the passenger side access panel. I hadn't looked at the bottom of those when removing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts