The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Today was a bad day...I slid off the road in my 2005 lotus Elise.
My question is, what kind of repair and/ or replacement cost should I expect?
The front clam shell is damaged, the driver side rocker panel is damaged and the front drivers side rim is pretty beat up.
I may also have some sort of suspension damage as well in the rear, i have to get it checked out.
Let me know what you all think,
Thanks.

Pics Attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, need to see picture of under road
rocker panels.You may want to buy a new front clam.
A lot of work to fix yours.Inokinentic and the people
have them in stock.I feel your pain!!
Insurance will probably total it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry to see that, hope all are okay. Do you recall hitting anything hard? Curious what caused the front lip to be gone and if the crash structure was damaged... What makes you think suspension also? Were you able to drive her afterwards?

·
Registered
703 Posts
What is that yellow thing under the front right at the scene? A plastic traffic bollard?

·
Registered
2005 Elise
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't hit anything besides the yellow plastic bollard, It was some kind of marker, it is what caused the drivers side rocker damage. I think most of the damage was caused by the drop into the small ditch when it slid off the road. I was not going fast, so that helped to minimize the damages. I was able to drive back fine, but it sounded slightly different and felt different too. That could just be the wheels that got damaged though. I don't think the crash structure is damaged, I think its just the clam. Do you think it can be repaired or should It be replaced?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hard to tell from photos... There are (were) mounting bolts that connect the lower front edge of the clam to the undertray. Tricky to repair clam, easier to replace IMO... not that it couldn't be repaired but it'll be up to your insurance company... who do you use?

On a side note, so you don't get in trouble here, be sure to check-out this link:

Best of luck, insurance is typically not very forgiving for these cars...

·
Registered
2005 Elise
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have geico, thanks for the link, I can get more pics if you want

·
Registered
703 Posts
Really need to inspect the underside, especially the suspension geometry given that wheel damage... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you want to get a new clam and not repair, check out gregs race parts pretty sure he has some front clams

·
Registered
25 Posts
First thing is to make darn sure your suspension/undercarriage is sorted out and good to go before thinking about the body damage. Body damage is not all that bad and should be an easy to match that paint.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
So far I am seeing damage to the front clam, rocker panel, possibly door, wheel, crash structure, grills, headlight, and turn signal. New parts alone for all this will be about $10k without labor, and the labor to replace the rocker and crash structure is huge. They'll probably lose less money by buying the car from you than fixing it.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
343 Posts
So far I am seeing damage to the front clam, rocker panel, possibly door, wheel, crash structure, grills, headlight, and turn signal. New parts alone for all this will be about $10k without labor, and the labor to replace the rocker and crash structure is huge. They'll probably lose less money by buying the car from you than fixing it.
I concur with those who say get the frame and suspension looked at first. Especially the crash structure. All the body work is fixable/repalceable (note: the rocker panels are GLUED on. You'll need to destroy them to replace with new or patch in place). I also think the insurance co. might total the car. If the frame/suspension is OK, maybe buy it back from them and fix it. I've heard the turn light assemblies are no longer available! Good luck. Oh, and sorry. Happened to me but at speed on a track.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It cost $7,000 to fix a 8 inch scratch on my Elise that did not penetrate the clam. The job was done perfectly and there is no way at all to ever know that there was damage just by looking at it. Your car is far more damaged than mine was and I would be shocked if the body repair alone was anywhere near as low as $7,000. I think you are looking at a totaled car.

Very sorry for your predicament.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
It cost $7,000 to fix a 8 inch scratch on my Elise that did not penetrate the clam. The job was done perfectly and there is no way at all to ever know that there was damage just by looking at it. Your car is far more damaged than mine was and I would be shocked if the body repair alone was anywhere near as low as $7,000. I think you are looking at a totaled car.

Very sorry for your predicament.
To be clear, I do agree with your expectation. BUT insurance adjusters can do weird things. I had one who just refused on principle to total my car - front clam, rear clam, door, windshield, two sets of control arms, wheels, and some ancillary pieces.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It has been a while since I have had clam work done on my '05 Elise, but 10 years ago it cost around $9,000 to replace the rear clam. Never had the front done other than minor front fiberglass repair. The insurance company is not going to total a $40k+ car for a $9k repair. I had absolutely no problem with my insurance company.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem I am having is that the shop I took it too doesn't know where to get the parts, so they can't exactly give me a quote and that is holding up the insurance. Does anyone know of a shop that has done this stuff before near Chicago?

·
Registered
2005 Elise
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot to mention this before, but the car only has 30k miles on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts