The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 Elise 3 weeks ago and pretty badly damage the front clam shell. I see that Gregs has new repoped ones available for $5k as apossed to one through lotus for over 6k. Has anyone used one of these and if so is it's fit a finish close to as good as oem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I picked up a pretty nice one in ABQ, NM this past weekend and now stored in Denver. He may have some decent ones left..

Bummer on the fresh damage.. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can I please ask who is "Gregs" ?

thanx
Jeff

·
Registered
740 Posts
Gregs is Greg's Race Parts (GregsRaceParts.com GRP), they fabricate fantastic Elise parts.

Before buying a new clam, go to a Corvette body shop that specializes in fiberglass repair and see what they say. My clam got a hole punched through it, and I had a Corvette shop fix it about 10 years ago. It still looks perfect. The repair cost about $500 before paint. Some clams can be fixed perfectly if they're not structurally compromised, some can't be fixed, and the pros will tell you.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,147 Posts
Agree with Marcinr, always check with a fiber glass repair expert first.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,147 Posts
That is repairable, I have seen my go-to fiberglass master repair more damage, where are you located?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I see a BRG Elise listed in the link I showed above, not sure if was still there.. maybe? Definitely others in better shape than yours currently. :(

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for that advise but I am a retired body repair man/ins. co. damage adjuster, that raced formula Ford's for years and fixed the fiberglass panels on those. I don't think this one is repairable
From my experience repairing Elise clams, this is repairable. I've banged and mashed my front clamshell numerous times competing with my car. The only time I had to completely replace my front clamshell, was when the lower half of my clamshell disintegrated into multiple pieces after going into a sand trap. Don't get me wrong, this will take a lot of time to do right with all the curves in the nose of the front clam. Will take a very keen eye and attention to detail sanding the bondo to match all the contours. This is also a great opportunity to fill in the ghastly seam on the front of the Elise clam. Filling it in makes the front clam look as good as the Exige.

Another option to check is to check with John Seal at Lotus Hard Tops. I used an Exige front end conversion kit from him and it was a fantastic deal compared to buying from Lotus directly.

Here's the link to an Elise clam:

Reactions: Kubera
1 - 10 of 10 Posts