The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a small pool of antifreeze on the garage floor and sure enough, just like so many others have experienced, the side tank on the original rad was leaking. So off with the clam and replaced it with an all welded aluminum one. That was not exactly the most fun I've had but thanks to this forum, it's in. One small problem, when I pulled the clam, the shims on the sides fell to the floor. Do they fit on the stud closest to the front or the one at the door? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
You will have to see how everything lines up. On mine there were shims by both screws, the ones by the door is a real “pita”, the ones in the wheel well are no problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have to fiddle with them a bit to get the panel alignment sorted, but it's not too hard. On my car, on the one by the door, I ended up with a washer between the clam and panel, which fortunately worked out just perfectly and was easier to deal with than the shim(s). Also don't miss the shims on the bolt to the windshield frame. My car had a fair number of shims on the passenger side, and none on the drivers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. All in now with not too much trouble and the alignment is good. Mine only had shims on the sides but the clam has been off for a repaint so who knows how it came from the factory. And of course, "while you are in there" struck and I took the opportunity to install a set of air horns. I made up a bracket to utilize the existing mounting hole and they tuck in nicely. Now they will hear me!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but looking at the picture of your air horn, it looks to me like the oil line has the old crimp fittings. Have your car had the oil line recall performed. ??

·
Registered
206 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but looking at the picture of your air horn, it looks to me like the oil line has the old crimp fittings. Have your car had the oil line recall performed. ??
I think the crossover line replacement looked like that...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I observed that the fittings/clamps at the coolers were the proper ones but the crossover line had crimp style. But I have taken both front coolers out of the circulation loop and if oil temps are too high (gauge installed), I will be going for a rear cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts