The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Exige with a rebuilt front end (I knew it when I bought it, no surprise). I recently bought a new OEM replica front lip to replace the OEM lip. I went to remove the OEM lip and found a seam ductaped behind it. I removed the lip and the ductape and I find all these binderplates......what is this? What is it supposed to look like? This is really weird.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is not suppose to look like that. That is somebody's hack job.

Later,
Eldon
That is disappointing, but thank you.

Anyone have similar pics showing what it is supposed to look like? I'd like to fix it if I can.

·
Addict
1,324 Posts
That is disappointing, but thank you.

Anyone have similar pics showing what it is supposed to look like? I'd like to fix it if I can.
I can post some pics from my '07 Exige tonight. Have the front undertray off. Might not be exactly but will give an idea.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can post some pics from my '07 Exige tonight. Have the front undertray off. Might not be exactly but will give an idea.
Thanks! In the pics above, the undertray is still on. I was trying to find exploded parts diagrams for that area but wasn't having any luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^Man, I have an Elise, but my guess is that is not OEM. Looks a bit "Mickey Moused". So the duct tape was applied to keep water and debris from penetrating? I wonder if Wirewheel had any clue that it looked like that underneath.

·
Addict
1,324 Posts
Some pics. I can put the undertray back on if you need to see that. My splitter only has a few bolts holding it in place. (the site is very slow so this may not work the first time

Attachments

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting. So it seams that the 2 parts of my clam that are connected with sheetmetal binder brackets are supposed to be 1 piece. I wonder why the clam came without that, maybe it's aftermarket?

Interesting.

The good news, is the new lip and splitter I want to add will cover all of that up. Still disappointing.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^Man, I have an Elise, but my guess is that is not OEM. Looks a bit "Mickey Moused". So the duct tape was applied to keep water and debris from penetrating? I wonder if Wirewheel had any clue that it looked like that underneath.
Wirewheel supposedly rebuilt the car, so I assume they did it, unless they outsourced it.

Yes, the tape was to close up the ridiculous gap you see.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^ I wonder if the previous owner hit something, subsequently mashing the OEM Splitter into the clam cracking it. Therefore to repair it with no cost you just "cut" and clean up the edges of the cracked clam and then bind them together with metal and rivets. Thats my guess.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I wonder if the previous owner hit something, subsequently mashing the OEM Splitter into the clam cracking it. Therefore to repair it with no cost you just "cut" and clean up the edges of the cracked clam and then bind them together with metal and rivets. Thats my guess.
Possible. The underside of the clam, where it would have had to been cut (in your scenario) was done almost perfect with finished and repainted edges. So, it is possible.

Not sure if i should do anything about it, or leave it. Once I put the new lip and splitter on, this area will be completely covered and protected.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
633 Posts
It's not a bad looking repair for this sort of hack. If you ever needed to pull the clam for some other reason, it wouldn't be rocket science to build a new flange out of cloth and resin and go back to the stock mounting method. In the meantime, I'd leave it be and drive the car...

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw this thread on the damage to the front clam of a Black Exige S. We looked at the photos and this is not one of our repairs.

HHH
Do you outsource or possibly bought the car from the person who fixed it? The guy I bought the car from bought it from you.

This was who I bought it from:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2010-lotus-exige-s240-13-500-miles-black-sport-track-pack-salvage-title-46-500-a-408369/

This was the original ad for the car:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2010-lotus-exige-s-240-49-900-a-326850/

Now, I'm not really upset here, I have a great car. Just trying to figure out what was done and if I need to do anything about it. It seems the clam was not OEM. Is that OK? Still determining. The front lip was a very odd knock-off as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts