The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone backed into my front clam and cracked it. How much damage size wise does it take for an insurance company to purchase a new clam for you vs trying to repair damage to the fiberglass?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also-- Does anyone know Oregon laws about a comprehensive vs uninsured motorist claim? I know in California if someone hits you and you didn't see it and you do not have a license plate they will not cover it under uninsured motorist.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
As far as I know, uninsured cannot be invoked anywhere, unless it is "proven" the other operator had no insurance.
Take your car to a lotus dealership for estimate. They "tend" to view anything more than a very minor stress crack to mandate replacement of a clam.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you roughly know what a replacement clam with paint costs on average? I'm curious as to what constitutes totaling out my car at this point.. 2005 elise ~60k and the star-shield would have to be replaced too.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
There isn't a chance in hell that your insurance is going to total your Elise over a "small" crack. They'll get your clam repaired, it'll be fine and you'll never know the difference.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Replacement clam work under insurance cost around $16k up here in Bellevue (this was a new clam, all the labor to remove and replace it and repaint it.) I assume that was a high cost due to it being an insurance claim. But you wouldn't get out of there for less than $12k on any day when someone else is doing the labor, I am sure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
$16K is outrageous. I put a new front clam on last year. A new clam is about $3000, paint about $500. New star shield installed could go $1000. It takes about two hours to take a clam off and put it back on. Anything over $6K is robbery.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
$16K is outrageous. I put a new front clam on last year. A new clam is about $3000, paint about $500. New star shield installed could go $1000. It takes about two hours to take a clam off and put it back on. Anything over $6K is robbery.
Like I said, this was done by the insurance company. I had no control over the price *they* paid, I only got to see the final damage. Also, that is the bill they would get and consider if they are looking at possibly totaling the car. You would then have to argue that the price is unreasonable. But if they aren't considering totaling the car, then it doesn't matter (to you) what they are going to pay, unless your insurance company decides to stick you with higher rates (in which case you should consider switching insurance companies.)

If people are interested i would be happy to scan the documents showing where they put the costings. I can do this when I get back home - it may be illuminating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts