The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they functional? I ask because I wonder how safe would it be to remove them then fill-in and paint the holes (as in the tiny holes from the grill not the resulting gaps). I think the car would look better without them, not to mention they are a pain when washing

I've seen people do something similar with the side vents...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Please let me know if you go that route as I'd like to buy yours from you if you do. :)

And I don't believe removing them will affect anything one way or another.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The grilles (and grilles in general) are supposed to protect the radiator and oil coolers from debris. How effective they are just depends on what you encounter. For some, they may never play a role. For others, they may help protect against a rogue twig or what-not. Personally I'd have no worry removing them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The passenger side one I damaged by dropping a bottle on it. By some act of god a soft bottle was able to knock off the very tip to one of the tiny fins (of course, that makes it completely unnoticable to anyone but me, but that would also be the main reason I wouldn't sell them if I do go this route)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The grilles (and grilles in general) are supposed to protect the radiator and oil coolers from debris. How effective they are just depends on what you encounter. For some, they may never play a role. For others, they may help protect against a rogue twig or what-not. Personally I'd have no worry removing them.
That's what I was debating over, but the holes are big enough to let in a golf ball sized rock. How effective can they be right? Anything bigger is going to cause more problems :)

My main worry is structural, do they prevent some sort of wind resonance on the clam?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
yup - i've got my center front out - came out when fixing the nose - decided it looks better without imo. It's still off, but i will not sell those parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts