The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the front hood opens? If so, what directions? Also, is there any storage space or what is in there? Thanks!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Think British car so the soft flappything over your head is the hood. Normally the thing over the engine is the bonnet and the thing over the luggage compartment is the boot. On the Elise, the engine cover also houses the only storage space in the car, other than behind the seats. So is this properly called the boot or bonnet or ??

The quick answer to your question is no. No storage in the space in front of the windshield. The two access panels are for the washer bottle (?), master cylinder and other service items.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Here is a pic of what it looks like under the hood. This gives the idea that there is not a lot of room for anything else. The USA S2 has even more, brake boosters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
That photo is an S1 Elise that is opened by a release in the driver area.

The S2 does not have a "hood" that opens. The two panels directly in front of the windshield can be removed in order to access the brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, windshield washer bottle and battery. There is no storage up there. The panels are held on with three screws, however, there are quick release connector kits available aftermarket.

The Fed car is not final but it is safe to assume it will be the same as the S2.

Roy

·
Registered
368 Posts
unibrain said:
Think British car so the soft flappything over your head is the hood. Normally the thing over the engine is the bonnet and the thing over the luggage compartment is the boot. On the Elise, the engine cover also houses the only storage space in the car, other than behind the seats. So is this properly called the boot or bonnet or ??

The quick answer to your question is no. No storage in the space in front of the windshield. The two access panels are for the washer bottle (?), master cylinder and other service items.
It makes more sense to me why the thing that covers your head is called the hood. I wonder why in the US the term is used differently.

·
Registered
109 Posts
unibrain said:
No storage in the space in front of the windshield. The two access panels are for the washer bottle (?), master cylinder and other service items.
The front access panels indeed incorporate the windscreen washer reservoir but this was moved to the back since MY2004. It also houses the brake fluid reservoir (is this what you mean with "master cylinder"?) and fuses and relays.

They really are a hassle to take off. I asked about the fast release option at my dealer but he didn't recommend it so I didn't get it installed (apparantly hole drilling and stuff).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
unibrain said:
Same reason I learned not to ask for a ride when in Ireland.
Not unless you actually wanted one :D (P.S. I'm from Ireland)

I've always considered the thing over the front to be the bonnet and the thing over the back to be the boot, no matter where the engine is. Old VWs had the engine "in the boot". The elise would be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL

Originally posted by unibrain

Thanks for the laugh (and the information) unibrain.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
unibrain said:
LOL. Yes and never ever ask anyone in the office (in the US) for a rubber :D
[An eraser in the UK]
Who is this quote from " Two countries separated by a common language". I think it may have been Churchill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts