The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the proper place for this post but I am looking for a left side, front turn signal for a 2005 Elise. Is there one for sale out there?

Driving the car back from California it appears a clip broke off the housing and it started flailing around on the bonnet. Fortunately no harm to the finish.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is a known issue. No sense in replacing and wasting your money....just use the bungee cord method. Makes swapping bulbs in the future much much easier as well. This same thing happened to me years ago and scared the bejeezus out of me. At first I didn't know what it was and thought a large piece of road debris was coming at me on the freeway. No damage in my case either.

The clips are weak and are a well known failure. I have been using the bungee method for 5yrs and not a single issue with it flying off again. I drilled a hole in the tab piece, looped the bungee hook thru that then wrapped the other end around the metal support structure in the bucket.

Lotus Elise Maintenance, Indicator Lens Installation

Reactions: lt1_fd3s

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
What Mobius said!
I had already forgotten that I did this mod many years ago :tadts:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Just did this about a couple weeks ago. I used 2 short bungee cords for it to be more secure. I think it was 10" long. I felt the one didn't secure it enough. Not worth getting a new one when it will just happen again. And it will. The bungee cord way just makes it easier to remove again if needed.

Gabe

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mobius97, Mr.C, NoRawkus305, thank you very much for the replies! I can only imagine one or two bungee cords are significantly less expensive than the $175 to $240 I've been seeing for a replacement unit!

Interesting that this is a known problem. Thank you once again and now I will take a look at the link Mobius97 provided.

Brian

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For some reason my reply didn't show up...

Oh well, here it is again, thank you very much for the replies! I'm certain one or two bungee cords are less expensive than the $175 - $240 I would have to pay for a new turn signal housing!

Interesting that it's a known issue.

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brian, if you can suffer the wait, I would buy the broke light of of you for the price of a new one. I only need the lens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For some reason my reply didn't show up...

Oh well, here it is again, thank you very much for the replies! I'm certain one or two bungee cords are less expensive than the $175 - $240 I would have to pay for a new turn signal housing!

Interesting that it's a known issue.

Brian
I would buy the broken lamp from you if you wanted and can wait. I just need the lens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts