The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I wish this state didn't require a front license plate. :sad:

Any one got a decent or half decent solution to adding the front license plate?

The bracket that comes with the car is disappointing. I am considering zip tieing it to the grill, but not sure what effect that will have on my cooling.

My local chief of police, who is a friend and car fan, suggested mounting it behind the front grill, but wouldn't promise his boys wouldn't pull me over and ticket me. :shrug:

I'd risk the ticket a few times, but the trouble is she is pretty much a daily driver, and there's a lot of police hang outs on the way to work, and since I am not a US Citizen I am supposed to be on my best behaviour. :D

Anyone got pictures of an Evora with a front plate?

·
Registered
807 Posts
i think it depends on the state you live in but alot of guys with elises cut just the number portion of their plate and mount it, making it look like those old license plates from Rome. i live in CA where i'm technically required to have a front plate, and my plan is to run without one until i get nailed, after which i plan to run with a UK plate up front with the same number as the CA plate on the rear. and if that don't work, i might move ;)

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
tsunami racer; said:
i think it depends on the state you live in but alot of guys with elises cut just the number portion of their plate and mount it, making it look like those old license plates from Rome. i live in CA where i'm technically required to have a front plate, and my plan is to run without one until i get nailed, after which i plan to run with a UK plate up front with the same number as the CA plate on the rear. and if that don't work, i might move ;)
I did a bit of research on this topic. The CVC states aren't allowed to modify the plate in any way. Sounds like a great solution, but if the cop is eager to write u up, he'll have a very clear reason to-- and one that you won't be able to fix.

The plate issue is discussed on practically every car discussion forum,so just do a google search. Doubt we'll come up with anything new.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I spoke to my local chief and he said no modifying the plate. :(

I was thinking about bending it above and below the numbers so it looks like this ]. Then sit it down inside the grill. That way you can see the full plate is there, but it won't block too much air flow. If I get in trouble I can bend it flat again.

Anyway I look to put it on sucks though. :(

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Yeah, I spoke to my local chief and he said no modifying the plate. :(

I was thinking about bending it above and below the numbers so it looks like this ]. Then sit it down inside the grill. That way you can see the full plate is there, but it won't block too much air flow. If I get in trouble I can bend it flat again.

Anyway I look to put it on sucks though. :(
No doubt bending it would still be construed as modification, at least with the cops we have in Los Angeles. Bending it back will just make your license plate look like crap..

I say, suck it up, it's the law :(

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I have not taken delivery of my Evora yet, so I have not seen the front license mounts. However, I have mounted the front plate on other cars at an extreme angle, without cutting it, so that it does not block the airflow nor look so obvious. I've never been stopped with that mounting, and I think the only regulation is that the license is "visible". I plan to try that if I get hassled here in CA. for no front plate.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
+1 ..

BTW, I went without a back license plate for nearly 3 years. Just the dealership name.. One cop looked at my temporary registration taped to the window and said, "Sir, how long have you had this car?" I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders saying I was too lazy to put them on. Since he was already writing me up for a speeding ticket, he let me go on the missing plates if I promised to put them on..."Don't let me catch you without plates, next time, k?" heehee

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not taken delivery of my Evora yet, so I have not seen the front license mounts. However, I have mounted the front plate on other cars at an extreme angle, without cutting it, so that it does not block the airflow nor look so obvious. I've never been stopped with that mounting, and I think the only regulation is that the license is "visible". I plan to try that if I get hassled here in CA. for no front plate.
That's interesting. Do you have any picture of that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Meh, play the "I'm from out of the country" card and get it thrown out in court if you get pulled.

Or seriously, you could try to offset it like they do in Japan, put it toward the drivers side and put the mount on the underside of the lip. That may look better and not inhibit airflow as much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a solution which may work. There is a product that attaches to the lower front and folds down and retracts. One is motorized, the other is manual. I believe it would work on the Evora. If I can find the link, I'll post it if it's permissible. I don't have any association with the seller. Here is the link:

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=2049&osCsid=34b4938f3d5cc1f9dad71c2b80913921

This simply is what I plan using on my cars. Should fit the Evora no problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually purchased the motorized version of that last week and it arrived on Thursday.

It's an interesting product, and has some potential, there just isn't anything solid under the front of the Evora to really mount it too... :(

Right now I am set up like this...

I was watching the temp gauge closely and it seems to run at exactly the same temperature as before.

If it ever heats up I have a set of side cutters ready to remove it. If I run it at a track or a show I'll remove it and then replace it later. It was easy to do.

I might see if I can find some nice mounts than the zip ties. I expect I could locate some dzus fasteners or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Manike- I believe the guys over on the CTS-V forum were fabricating some sort of a mount out of metal strapping material- looks sorta like plumber's tape- maybe it was exhaust hanger strips. It seemed to work very well for them.
I don't know what you have to work with under the Evora as far as mounting points, though.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I keep my front plate in the trunk. I think the plate makes the car look buck toothed. With cars in the past I would just say teh mount broke and am waiting for a new one. so far have been questioned twice in Illinois, but no ticket. I'm sure my luck will run out, but it is worth it not to have the plate.

Reactions: Johnny DemonT

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
On my Elise, I set the plate on the front end when I park it, and take it down when I drive away :)

American license plates have a retarded form factor, I think it's left over from the 1910s or earlier. I wish some state would grab the bull by the horns and start offering Euro form factor plates. If Northwest Territories can offer polar bear shaped plates, New York can offer Euro shaped.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I do not run a plate. I did the manike solution to get it threw initial inspection. It was in the summer heat and it did run up the temp one line. I have had a pleasure car without a front license plate for some time of various types and never put a plate on them. I got pulled over in the Nismo once down the shore and told him its limited production (1500) and it did not come with a bracket etc... He didn't care and just let me go. He wanted to check out the car. In the Evora I have a "license plate kit" in the boot. Its my front plate, tie wraps and cutters. If I do get pulled over and they want a plate on it... (NJ State Troopers) I can slap it on. I think I am lucky because we have a lot of PA drivers in NJ that do not have front plates so its not an unusual thing. If they catch my NJ in the rear view maybe they will come. So far so good. I think its like 70$. When it becomes a regular thing I will not put that plate on..

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
On my Elise, I set the plate on the front end when I park it, and take it down when I drive away :)
+1. I stuck a couple of 3M command wire hooks on the back of the license plate, along with three large felt pads . The small hooks slip perfectly into the front grill. And if I forget, the plate has never come off when I drive (even over bumpy downtown streets where I live). If the license plate swings in upward or outward (which is unlikely anyway), the hooks swivel and hook in deeper, making it virtually impossible for the plate to come off. And the felt pads cushion any contact the plate has with the car.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I do not run a plate. I did the manike solution to get it threw initial inspection. It was in the summer heat and it did run up the temp one line. I have had a pleasure car without a front license plate for some time of various types and never put a plate on them. I got pulled over in the Nismo once down the shore and told him its limited production (1500) and it did not come with a bracket etc... He didn't care and just let me go. He wanted to check out the car. In the Evora I have a "license plate kit" in the boot. Its my front plate, tie wraps and cutters. If I do get pulled over and they want a plate on it... (NJ State Troopers) I can slap it on. I think I am lucky because we have a lot of PA drivers in NJ that do not have front plates so its not an unusual thing. If they catch my NJ in the rear view maybe they will come. So far so good. I think its like 70$. When it becomes a regular thing I will not put that plate on..
I park my car on the street in Manhattan regularly and the meter maids there like to write me up $65 tickets for no front plate even if it's stuck in my windshield. They don't do that to me in Brooklyn.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts