The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, 94 MR2 Turbo, 93.5 Supra TT (Sold)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have tried two different front license plate brackets and neither worked well. The first one (Platypus) would not thread in because the threads were too thick and the second one (GRP) threads in but the plate hits the front bumper, the plate frame barely fits. The license plate can only be mounted on a 30 degree angle, which looks ridiculous.

Is there another brand that works well?

Thank you,
Daniel

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
148 Posts
Someone else started a similar thread a few days ago. I am working with Mike at Sto N Sho to develop a GT solution. The 400 solution won't work because of the rubber air dam that hangs down. I sent him a bunch of photos and dimensions for him to examine. Hopefully he can come up with something.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GRP plate holder could work if it were longer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Write Greg. He seems to be one of the most responsive people ever when it comes to customer service and his products.
I did write him. I need a solution quickly to pass inspection.

·
148 Posts
I did write him. I need a solution quickly to pass inspection.
Maybe you could zip tie the plate to the front grill for inspection purposes and then remove until you find a permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
The GRP plate holder could work if it were longer.
If you only need it for inspection but need it quickly, cut the GRP threaded mount and weld in something to extend it. Even a hacked up bolt welded in between would work in a pinch.

If you can't weld, take it somewhere that they can. Any muffler shop (or sheet metal shop, iron railing fabricators, etc.) should be able to throw at least a tack on it that would hold long enough to pass inspection. Spray it with some black paint and head off to the DMV.

Once something permanant comes to market, buy the replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Or......do you already have the GRP bracket? If so,here's another (possible) idea for a quick fix for DMV inspection if you can't find someone to weld for you.

I don't know what thread size the screw/bolt is that is holding the GRP plate to the GRP mounting stem. But, if its a common size, you could try mounting a rod coupler with a section of threaded rod in between the GRP plate screw and GRP mounting stem. Both would be available at a local hardware store.

Cut the threaded rod down and thread it into the coupler and thread the other side into the GRP mounting stem to extend it out. Use loctite, epoxy, JBWeld etc to lock it in place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone with a 400 or GT have the GRP plate mount?

·
148 Posts
Update: SNS is sending me a prototype for the GT. I should be able to check it out in a few weeks or so (out of town right now).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: SNS is sending me a prototype for the GT. I should be able to check it out in a few weeks or so (out of town right now).
If your out of town, have them send it to me. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Write Greg. He seems to be one of the most responsive people ever when it comes to customer service and his products.
Greg and I exchanged a few emails and is going to make a longer threaded rod for me. I will update the thread end of the week.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts