The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
148 Posts
I received the SNS prototype for the GT. I am finally home from travel and hope to test this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
57 Posts
I received the SNS prototype for the GT. I am finally home from travel and hope to test this weekend.
I wish I had read this thread earlier because I wasted my money on a GRP plate mount. Same issue as you had as the plate hits the paint.

2 solutions: Drill another hole in the GRP plate or use the threaded tow hook that came with it and attach the stock plate mount that came with the Evora.

An additional problem with the GRP mount, imho, is that at some point I believe the single screw that fastens the license plate to the plate mount will let go and the plate will swing down. Maybe thread lock or a lock washer will help. I think this is a very poor design.

There are two plate mounts I use for other cars, one by US Millworks and the other by Rennline that are far better designed than the GRP. I didn't go with them as the threaded rod is a smaller diameter and won't fit.

I emailed Greg about this and got no response. Not a good experience.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I wish I had read this thread earlier because I wasted my money on a GRP plate mount. Same issue as you had as the plate hits the paint.

2 solutions: Drill another hole in the GRP plate or use the threaded tow hook that came with it and attach the stock plate mount that came with the Evora.

An additional problem with the GRP mount, imho, is that at some point I believe the single screw that fastens the license plate to the plate mount will let go and the plate will swing down. Maybe thread lock or a lock washer will help. I think this is a very poor design.

There are two plate mounts I use for other cars, one by US Millworks and the other by Rennline that are far better designed than the GRP. I didn't go with them as the threaded rod is a smaller diameter and won't fit.

I emailed Greg about this and got no response. Not a good experience.
Greg's currently working on a solution. Don't give up hope yet.

Not a lot of suppliers for these cars and Greg's a good one.

·
148 Posts
Update (this is as good a thread as any, as there are a few now on front plates). I am so impressed with the Sto N Sho product. They made it custom for the Evora GT. It was very nerve wracking since once I drilled holes into the rubber lip that was kind of it. I test fit the bracket a few times. I ended up putting in 3 spacer washers between the bracket and the car because I wasn't sure the bars would clear the horizontal black fiberglass lip/bumper. I think I had room to spare so they may not have been necessary. The washers put the holes dead in the middle of the rubber air dam so that was a bonus. My biggest concern is the plate itself hangs down pretty low and does reduce overall clearance by a little, which SNS does say will happen. I'll have to see how that goes as I drive. Obviously the washers may have had something to do with that.

I ended up using a 1/2" drill bit (after starting with smaller ones for pilot holes). I worked with Mike at SNS and he was fantastic. This is a great solution for those wanting a center location and being able to easily remove it, say at car shows.

Hopefully these hastily taken photos document the experience well.
SNS-evoraGT-1.jpg SNS-evoraGT-3.jpg SNS-evoraGT-2.jpg SNS-evoraGT-4.jpg SNS-evoraGT-6.jpg SNS-evoraGT-7.jpg SNS-evoraGT-8.jpg SNS-evoraGT-9.jpg SNS-evoraGT-10.jpg SNS-evoraGT-11.jpg

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Just consider it another bumper scraper to protect the car.

it looks like they updated the plate holder to that “x shape”. I like it. Mine is more of a “V” with no bottom plate attachment holes.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, 94 MR2 Turbo, 93.5 Supra TT (Sold)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Greg is shipping out the longer threaded rod tomorrow. I will update the thread after I mount it.

·
148 Posts
And I am expecting a tweaked version from Mike at SNS. It will be great to have two different solutions for people to pick from.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Received GRP front plate today. Threw it on.

I never ordered the original, so my only experience is with the longer arm.

Short version - IT FITS

I think, based on the pictures on the website vs what I can see here, the arm is an inch or two longer.
GRP website image vs mine - Check the relational length of the arm vs height of the plate-mount

From website

What arrived

Mounted up

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nice! Mine was delivered today as well. I’m going to put it on tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
57 Posts
I drilled a new hole to make mine work. To be honest it doesn't look right and one might catch the edge of the plate walking by-or someone else will.
What I think we all need is a plate mount like those made by Rennline and US Millworks. These have a ball joint like fixture at the end to the plate can be angled to be much more parallel with the bumper. They are also much more positive in terms of making sure the plate will not rotate.
Rennline said they might make one if I could supply the rod diameter, thread pitch, and needed length. Anyone know the answer to these specs?

·
148 Posts
Or go with the SNS option. They are sending me a second prototype with some improvements.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
57 Posts
Or go with the SNS option. They are sending me a second prototype with some improvements.
I suppose it's an aesthetic choice as well as a clearance issue for me. I have two other cars with plates mounted on tow hooks, one with the Rennline mount and one with the US Millworks mount, both angled with the bumper and both with quick release brackets. Pretty cool and no compromise in clearance. The other issue is that an offset plate will not route cooling air away from the radiator.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What are the improvements? I do not like the idea of drilling into the rubber lip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m pretty disappointed with my GRP product because the license plate hits the bumper and has to be mounted askew, but also because it’s very tedious to install and remove, because you basically have to take the plate off the front mount before you can access the central screw.

·
148 Posts
What are the improvements? I do not like the idea of drilling into the rubber lip.
So like you, I agonized around what solution to employ and the abhorrent thought of defacing the rubber lip. Here is where I ended up:
1. See drahardja's post above. Nuff said there.
2. It's only a rubber lip, easily replaced if necessary.
3. It isn't drilling into the fiberglass, which is the Lotus solution which I did not want to do.
4. You can't see the holes when the plate is out.
5. The quick release for car shows and driving outside my home state is fabulous.
6. The car is about aesthetics to me. It is not aesthetically pleasing to have an off-centered, mid-way-up mounted plate. The center location is the most appealing to me.

So based on all that I took the plunge and drilled the holes. I couldn't be happier. The improvements are contouring the bars more to the shape of the valence/bumper to gain a little more clearance underneath and make it more to the shape of the car. Prototype 2 is in the mail.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts