The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I think is a front license plate bracket from my Elise (RIP). I don't need it, but I don't want to just throw it out. If anyone wants it and will pay actual UPS shipping, you can have it for free. And if it isn't an Elise bracket, sorry about that. Just let me know and I'll delete the post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
That is the factory license plate bracket. Worth what you are asking for it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Does everyone know that you need to drill into the clam to mount it?

When the dealer told me that when I bought the car, I said 'you can keep it'.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm told by the person who asked for it first that you don't have to drill the clam. He modifies the OE bracket so it is held in place by magnets.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm told by the person who asked for it first that you don't have to drill the clam. He modifies the OE bracket so it is held in place by magnets.
Um... why not just then hold the plate in place with magnets and skip the bracket?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I still have the one from my first elise somewhere....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yeah, that plate might hold it in place just fine with some strong double sided tape... instead of drilling the clam. Where i live and drive and street park, not having a front plate means you WILL get ticketed incessantly... it's not really an option going without based on how i use my car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, that plate might hold it in place just fine with some strong double sided tape... instead of drilling the clam. Where i live and drive and street park, not having a front plate means you WILL get ticketed incessantly... it's not really an option going without based on how i use my car.
ewalberg, illuminate me on your solution and the RWC cops. I work just off 101 at Holly. I park in the company lot, but its the one where the cops occasionally hang out to pick people off zooming around the bend towards 101. No troubles so far, but would hate to come out of work to find a treat on my windshield (more than the usual bird bombs and dust/pollen :p )

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does everyone know that you need to drill into the clam to mount it?

When the dealer told me that when I bought the car, I said 'you can keep it'.
If you really need to run a front plate, you can drill a hole in the center of that bracket, then simply attach it via the front tow hook mount. Screw the plate on and you're done. (In fact, the local Lotus shop here fabricates them exactly that way.) I know of people who do this just to slap a plate on before a required state safety/emissions inspection, for example. No drilling into the clam required.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anyone know the part number for this bracket? I never used mine on my Elise - but ended up using it on my 1960 mini with a little modification and it works perfectly!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The simple *existence* of this bracket is the reason the Elise is required to have a front plate in WA. =( Stupid OEM bracket.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
oh, I never noticed the question for me... i'm using black watch racing's bracket...

·
Registered
207 Posts
The PO of my blue Elise glued some black velcro on the front of the clam and the back of the plate. He was hassled at SFO airport picking up pax. When the plate is removed, the dark velcro on blue doesn't look conspicuous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts