The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I got tired of getting $80 tickets for not having a front license plate on my bimmer, so I gave in and put it on. I know I'm NOT going to want one on the Elise (where does it go, anyway?), so I was thinking that perhaps having it in the windshield was acceptable while it was parked and vulnerable to the evil clutches of parking enforcement. Is that acceptable for not getting a no front license plate ticket?

Still, it's a pretty ugly solution. Anyone have any better ideas (other than sucking up the tickets)... ?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Move out of the City. In the south bay with both cars without front plates for 14 & 8 years without a problem. :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
I took an air shear to the front plate on my MR2 Spyder, and made it as small as possible! It's a little taller than a british plate, the corners are rounded, and its as narrow as possible. No problems so far.

PS. "But officer, my dog ate it!"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
dana said:
having it in the windshield<...>Is that acceptable for not getting a no front license plate ticket?
Probably not. Most place require the plate to be attached to the front of the car (if they require front plates).

Saying it fell off usually doesn't really fool the cops.

A lot of places are getting anal about enforcing the front plate laws since they need the front plate for revenue generating "red light" cameras and photo radar cameras...:rolleyes:

I do know the the police pay special attention to cars such as a Lotus - I once had problems with the state DMV; they sent me the new registrations, but forgot the stickers for the plates. Getting it corrected required many letters and phone calls over about a 6 month period. During that time, I drove the Honda as my daily driver past many, many, "check points" with the "expired tags" without getting pulled over. I drove my Elan exactly 3 miles before they pulled me over...:(

I will most likely reluctantly install the front plate on the Elise (like I did on the Miata) simply to give them one less reason to pull me over...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
usually there's a provision that the plate must be displayed at or below a certain height, making the front dash display illegal

·
Banned
901 Posts
Dana:

I tell any police that I am waiting for a bracket to mount the license plate on my Esprit.

"Sorry officer the mounting bracket is on back order from England".

It has worked every time.

Mark Pfeffer

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I am planning to carry the extra plate in the trunk and try the "Officer, it fell off and I haven't been able to reattach it yet" line. But they may not fall for it. If I get stopped too many times, I'm sure I will comply.

Not sure why you are getting $80 tickets, Dana. In California, it's only a fix-it ticket (doesn't go on your driving record and no actual charge for the "ticket"). You need to remedy the problem and visit the police station to show that you have done so. However, in LA, it cost me $10 to get the police to issue a certificate and $10 to get the court to file it and cancel the ticket (handled by mail).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Carry the front plate in your trunk and if/when you get pulled over just tell the ociffer that it just tell off 5 minutes ago and show him your plate in the trunk. Make sure it's dinged up a little bit. Works everytime. :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
huggy bear said:
Carry the front plate in your trunk and if/when you get pulled over just tell the ociffer that it just tell off 5 minutes ago and show him your plate in the trunk. Make sure it's dinged up a little bit. Works everytime. :)
I doubt that will work if there are no provisions for mounting the plate up front (Fell off from where?). One thing that I've thought of (though I do not have to have a front plate) would be to mount the plate on a hinged bracket that would swivel down. Then you can bolt the bracket to the underside of the clam (instead of putting holes in the front) and the plate acts as a skid plate for the front clam if you get up against a curb or parking block.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Here in CA where the front plate is the law, making up your own mount that doesn't require drilling into the front end would work the best. Even if it's just to get the ticket sign-off.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I kept the plate in my dash in my celica, as I had no place to mount it on the bumper (I actually filled the holes a while back because I couldnt stand the look of the holes in the bumper). As I drove around with the bra on almost exclusively, I never got pulled over having the plate in the dash. And yes, I was pulled over many times for other reasons but never got any grief for the plate.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
agent.5 said:
I am in San Francisco, and front plate is another foreign language to me.
I'm another San Franciscan... I was pulled over for speeding once, and they got me on the front plate at that time. Put the plate on for the fix-it ticket, then took it off again the next day. Have never been pulled over for a missing fromt plate alone -- ever. But I do keep it in the trunk now. Figure that its mere presence may save me from another fix-it ticket. Shoot, even a little fine wouldn't bug me. Just as long as it never becomes a points issue.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The last time that I was pulled over for missing front plate was when I was in College in San Luis Obispo. I screwed the front plate on and let the cop at the campus police station signed off on the fix-it ticket and then I unscrewed the front plate in the parking lot of the campus police before I drove off.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
atyclb said:
I'm just prepared to take my medicine...no need to lie to a police officer.
Just north of town where I live, there is a municipality with police that will routinely pull you over for doing 52 in a 50 mph zone, with no schools nearby, open 2 or 3 lane highway, no signif. pedestrian cross-traffic. Of course, it is pure, cynical, contrived revenue generation, having nothing to do with 'public safety'. Talk about despotism.

So, to these 'public servants', I'd have no qualms feeding them that line if stopped under the same circumstances. Recockulous.

I'm hopeful that the stylized "Elise" logo plate as seen at the LAAS will either come installed, or be available.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I've always carried my front plate in the glove box. None of the cops who have pulled me over have ticketed me for it after I show them that the plate is in my glove box.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I've always carried my front plate in the glove box. None of the cops who have pulled me over have ticketed me for it after I show them that the plate is in my glove box.
But we won't have a glove box!!

After 14 years of driving my Miata without a front plate, I was stopped by a motorcycle cop several months ago. Scared the sh*t out of me, since I was speeding on a highway along the coast. He asked if I knew why he had stopped me, and of course I said no, and he said it was because I had no front plate. He mentioned that the police were cracking down on this because of the cameras that catch people running red lights - they need the driver's face and front license plate to send out a ticket.

After clearing the fix-it ticket, I kept the damn plate on for a month or so. Decided to take it off and haven't been stopped over the past few months.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Jim- think that's the biggest reason there pushing for it. Have been pulled over several times without a front plate, no mention or check was every made for it. Heck been lucky enough to get off with warning for the speeding... well expect for the last time when I open my big mouth before he could say anything. :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got pulled over in the middle of nowhere East Texas by a Texas DPS trooper once for the sole reason that I did not have a front plate. He actually slowed down when I was behind him (obeying the speed limit), I passed him going 5 miles under speed limit and he flicked his lights on. Trooper asked me where I was from and I told him. He said, "Sir, in the big city they probably have too many other fish to fry to pull you over for not having a front license plate and that's why noone ever has." I took that to mean he had nothing better to do, which is why he pulled me over. It was all I could do to keep from making that kind of smart ass remark to him. He gave me a "warning ticket," which meant I ignored his admonishment. I then made myself feel better by going 100 MPH when he headed in the other direction.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts