The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of looking for a front plate frame that works so I made one.
it’s a couple pieces of 1/8” aluminum welded together (my aluminum welding sucks but it will stay together). I milled a slot for the front under panel screw and a bigger slot for the washer a little under a 16th in the plate. It should hold nicely. I’m gonna put a couple foam stickies on the back of the top part to butt up against the fiberglass to prevent it from turning.
here it is before paint
9A117C36-427E-4C6C-A5A6-E47FBF86F7BB.jpeg 4A52629C-C866-4526-814C-B55A902CC26D.jpeg

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
Its gonna slow you down though.........too much drag :)

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
I had no Elise frt plate since new. TT Supra had no frt plate. Is/ Was fine all those yrs.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
I had no Elise frt plate since new. TT Supra had no frt plate. Is/ Was fine all those yrs.
Here in NJ, front plates are required, as is car inspections. The routine goes like this:

Step 1 - Drive to inspection station
Step 2 - Stop 1 mile beforehand and install front plate
Step 3 - Get back in car and get inspected
Step 4 - Pull over 1 mile away from inspection station on the way home and remove front plate
Step 5 - Store plate in boot.

If you get pulled over, tell the cop you just had some front clam work done, plate is in the boot waiting for a replacement bracket.

I haven't had a front plate on my present 2 cars or my previous VW CC. 6 years and yet to be stopped for a plate violation. It helps our neighboring state doesn't require them so police are used to seeing cars without it.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
I got a screw and drilled a hole in the front of the plate and put the screw through the plate into the tow hook.

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Hughe, nope. Emissions only now. They noticed no frt plate and cared not.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
I inspected 2 years ago and they checked then. Good to know. If emissions only, that's an easy pass!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
760 Posts
My solution is a little different because I did some legal research (I live in Virginia), and it turns out that VA law about license plates is different than other places I've lived. In most states, there's an 'obscure, deface, mutilate' clause in the law that says you aren't allowed to modify the license plate in any significant way (like TX, we do have a front plate requirement). On an Elise, this means the plate is huge and probably doesn't do any good for airflow into the radiator and AC condenser.

It turns out that VA law does not have a mutilate clause. The VA law very specifically states that you can't obscure, deface, or remove exactly three parts of the license plate: the annual stickers, the word VIRGINIA at the top of the plate, and the plate registration string (the big numbers and letters) in the middle. That's it. You can drill holes. You can fold the plate. You can theoretically even cut the plate smaller with tin snips. This explained why I'd so often seen custom motorcycles with weird plate mountings in this state (conforming to the rear fender or primary case, etc).

Once I figured this out, it was game on. I made an aluminum mounting strip (out of an old license plate...) that attaches to the existing holes in the front clam plate plinth, and then drilled mounting holes in the front plate in between the registration letters and numbers. This allowed me to mount the plate two inches lower than it otherwise could be. I then bent a 90 degree bend into the bottom of the plate so that it only projects about 1/2" below the bottom of the clam. Result: I now have a short, unobtrusive, legal front plate that doubles as a curb feeler for the front clam.

Moral of the story: read the law. It's generally available online and is searchable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m in TX as well (like the OP) and did a DIY tow hook mount. Just one long screw into a 1”W x 9”L x 1/16”D aluminum strip I drilled holes into. A couple of bolts to lock everything in place, and voila, a light, no holes, $10 solution I can very easily take on and off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts