The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another solution using parts from Home Depot:

20-Gauge Simpson Strong-Tie
Simpson Strong-Tie 20-Gauge 1-1/4 in. x 9 in. Strap-LSTA9 at The Home Depot

Cut the piece in half. Make a few bends. Drill a couple of extra hole then paint it matte black to match the front grill.

Also added a few foam strips to the lower half of the license plate to protect the painted clam surface.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Blackwatch racing makes a good mount via the tow hooks... Us in NY have had front plates for decades !!! Get ready for the police state across the country .

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is great, any reason why it wouldn't work on the Evora?

I didnt see if this was already done before so forgive me if this is not new and I know this has probably been beat to death, but my solution to the front plate mount came from Home Depot. It is a steel framing tie made by Simpson part number 128T. Cost about $6 or so and found near the framing lumber isle. Two bends about 45 deg and drill one hole for the M8. Used some double sided foam tape along the bottom.
View attachment 338105

View attachment 338113

View attachment 338121

View attachment 338129

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
In Texas? Say it ain't so.

Tell the cop the Elise/Exige has a bumper exemption, it's on the sticker on the driver's door hinge. No bumper, no plate mount. Sorry, popo...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It sounds like the 2005 models had some exemption notice on the door. My 2009 Elise says "this meets all the legal requirements...".

Up here in Ontario we need a front plate. What bothers me is that between our 10 provinces and 3 territories, only 4 of 13 require that. It seems that one could argue that if the majority don't require a front plate that the other regions should drop that requirement.

Anyways I have been pulled over a few times and depending on the cop you can get a warning or a ticket. I've been able to go to court for each ticket and promise to add the plate. In each case the ticket was dismissed.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
It sounds like the 2005 models had some exemption notice on the door. My 2009 Elise says "this meets all the legal requirements...".

Up here in Ontario we need a front plate. What bothers me is that between our 10 provinces and 3 territories, only 4 of 13 require that. It seems that one could argue that if the majority don't require a front plate that the other regions should drop that requirement.

Anyways I have been pulled over a few times and depending on the cop you can get a warning or a ticket. I've been able to go to court for each ticket and promise to add the plate. In each case the ticket was dismissed.
Bummer. The exemption IIRC was for 2 years. So all cars MY08 and newer would not be exempt.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have lived in the DFW area for about a year. Both my previous car (a bright red C7) and current car (a bright kawasaki green Evora) have no front plate and I have not been hassled or pulled over yet. However, now that I have posted this, I expect to get pulled over everyday. Thanks Obama!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts