The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
King of The Hill People
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tired of getting tickets in Denver for not having a front plate. I refuse to permanently install my plate. I needed a better solution. What I did to solve the problem is epoxy high strength magnets to my tow hook and also to my license front plate. the pictures I have will show you how I managed to get passed the pesky rules. I also bolted on two dummy fasteners to the plate so it looks permanent.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
How does it behave while driving? I'd be worried about it flipping up and marking up the paint. Cool idea though. Bonus points for the fake mounting bolts too, lol.

·
King of The Hill People
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont drive with the plate on, its simply to look real while I park the car on the street or in areas where the meter maids are relentless. I keep the magnetic plate under my driver seat and pop it on whenever i need it.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
wow - props.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It looks like you even have your plate numbers in vinyl on the front clam. They should have given you a pass just for trying!

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,510 Posts
I dont drive with the plate on, its simply to look real while I park the car on the street or in areas where the meter maids are relentless. I keep the magnetic plate under my driver seat and pop it on whenever i need it.
Have you only received tickets when parked for the front plate in Denver? I have yet to run into this issue, hope I don't either.

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
who makes that bad azz towhook..?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I might copy this because the front plate enforcement team in Los Angeles can be pretty ruthless too. Luckily, the last one was only $25 with proof of correction (zip ties).
Worse than you can imagine. Disclaimer, this is from around 10 years ago:

Got a fixed penalty, no fix-it, no front plate, from the parking gestapo when parked near the beach one summer. Over the next 2 years, before I finally relented and put a front plate on, I got 3 (or was it 4) more fixed penalty tickets from them.

Now, here's the kicker. Every one of those was when my car was parked outside my house, where the nearest street with *ANY* parking restrictions is at least 5 blocks away. So WTF were they doing patrolling my street. Oh, and BTW, the tickets were always issued between the hours of 11pm and 1 am.

My guess is that they draw up a list of no-plate folks and patrol around them looking to increase funds. Have you seen their building on Sepulveda. Architect designed, really nice. Not a concrete bunker like most agencies.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
Here's my method. Recently got pulled over by a cop for no front plates. Gave him an excuse that I was at the track the weekend and forgot to put it back on. I clipped in on in front of him and he let me go!:D
Yes I go this route too. Cops have been flexible for my front plate in L.A.

·
King of The Hill People
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily I have never been pulled over without my plate on. My friends have told me the patrol officers don't seem to care as much in Colorado about front plates on sports cars like the meter maids do. Most cops I have spoken to admit they would not put a plate on either.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
They are ruthless in NY. I just opted for the black watch front plate mounting kit ..no drilling .. It's worth the $75 buck..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Front plate on Esprit

I like your work Jeremy. It looks nice. Where did you obtain the parts to make that rig? I have a 95 Esprit I just bought a few months ago. I also live in Colorado and I am perplexed as to how to mount a front plate. I don't want to drill into the car at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts