The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm enjoying my new to me, 2007 Exige S. I live in New Jersey where a front license plate is required. Why give the cops an excuse to pull you over. I already did a search.............

Those of you who have front plates, how did you mount it?

I have heard ideas from velcro, to magnets, etc. Is there a license plate frame that would mount to the tow hook ?

thank you,

Glenn

·
Registered
160 Posts
...I live in New Jersey where a front license plate is required. Why give the cops an excuse to pull you over.
MO requires it also.

I don't know about the cops in NJ, but I've driven my 07 Exige for 3 1/2 years (20k+ miles) and haven't been stopped. Prior to the Exige I drove another car without one for 7 years (60k+) and was only pulled over once (no ticket).

I wouldn't bother. Just my $.02.

Steve

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard ideas from velcro, to magnets, etc. Is there a license plate frame that would mount to the tow hook ?
A quick Google search of the site would pull up numerous options that folks have tried.

This is one of the tow-hook versions.

Cheers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is what I did link

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not running a front plate and haven't had any trouble, but I hate feeling dodgy when I end up behind a cop or sitting across from a cop at an intersection. So I'm thinking of shearing off the bottom of the plate ( I know that's illegal but hey less so) and using Velcro. I've used Velcro on several hella shaker thumpers and it's always held strong. I like that it's low profile and let's the plate bend to match whatever it's mounting to.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not running a front plate and haven't had any trouble, but I hate feeling dodgy when I end up behind a cop or sitting across from a cop at an intersection. So I'm thinking of shearing off the bottom of the plate ( I know that's illegal but hey less so) and using Velcro. I've used Velcro on several hella shaker thumpers and it's always held strong. I like that it's low profile and let's the plate bend to match whatever it's mounting to.
That would prob work for most, so long as the neighborhood doesnt contain any of those who would decide to help themselves to a plate held only with velcro. I coundnt get away with that if I still lived in south Queens, still I dont think I would chance that, but thats just me. I will also admit, I considered velcro as a solution before I settled on the Home Depot steel tie.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
where are you in bergen? I attend church weekly in Old Tappan, and usually take the car out on sundays during the nice weather.

but, in relation to the thread I used velcro.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
MO requires it also.

I don't know about the cops in NJ, but I've driven my 07 Exige for 3 1/2 years (20k+ miles) and haven't been stopped. Prior to the Exige I drove another car without one for 7 years (60k+) and was only pulled over once (no ticket).

I wouldn't bother. Just my $.02.

Steve
I am in NJ and agree w/Steve.

Elan, Supra TT, Elise had no front plates. Merely stopped once or twice in 20+ yrs, but never a ticket.

Hidden benefit: If you get caught, say, speeding, a nice policeman will give you a ticket for no frt plate instead. Happened to me this fall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
License plate mount

I got this one from FastToys for a bit under $100. It screws into the front tow hook mount. Easy to use and a quality product.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got one from rhoplate.com. $60 plus $12 for s&h. They don't list the Lotus kit on the site, but they do have it. I emailed them. Completed the transaction through PayPal and they shipped out very quickly. I am reasonably certain it is identical to the one from Fast Toys which seems to be going for $101 ($85 plus $16 for s&h). Leastwise, everything I received is exactly what is in the pics on the Fast Toys site. $30 isn't a big deal, but it's a nice lunch so I opted to go with RhoPlate.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
At NJ State Inspection, they now test only for emissions on OBD2 cars.
They told me my car had no front plate.
"Yes, I know. Thanks."

If necessary, I'd probably drill a small hole in the plate and run bolt into tow hook threads. Not strictly legal, but close enough.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My solution was 8 bucks plus a can of spray paint.

McKinney-20140117-01165.jpg

McKinney-20140117-01168.jpg

Reactions: 2ZZGE4ME

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey where did you get this?
Go to home depot's lumber area and look for a T shaped bracket. Give it a couple bends, a few holes and bolt on your plate. I copied the same thing from Dephcon5, works great :up:

I made 90 degree bends in mine, you can also do 45 so it sits lower.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts