The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for mounting solutions for a front plate. I want ot use double sided tape but am nervous that the plate will fly off at highway speeds. I Blackwatch mounting kit looks good but I want to make sure that you can still fit a tow hook with it installed.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i use the blackwatch mount. It works. Just tighten the heck out of everything. I put some thick foam strips on the back of the plate to give it a flusher mount/standoff against the car. FWIW.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for something that will allow me to use a towhook while the plate is on the car. Going to keep the hook installed for raod driving.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
blackwatch uses the towhook for mounting iirc. I replaced the hook with a bolt, keep my hook in the tool pouch, but i think it mounts with the hook as its primary anchor. The hook will get by the plate just fine if you set the plate to it's lowest setting - but it is tight.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I keep my tow hook on permanently, and use two Lotus yellow zip ties to fasten the top of the plate to the bug screen above the tow hook. The resulting plate is at a very steep angle of attack, which gives me additional down force improving the grip on the front tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had my license plate sticked with double sided tape that holds up to 100Kg and it hold really good even at high speeds. When I took it off I hadn't the handbrake on and I even could move the car towards me. ;)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
you guys get cool stuff like that in Europe...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my license plate sticked with double sided tape that holds up to 100Kg and it hold really good even at high speeds. When I took it off I hadn't the handbrake on and I even could move the car towards me. ;)
What was the brand of the tape? I think that this is the route that I want to go.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hit up Pooter on the forum. He made this cool quick release tow hook. I have one on my car. He was talking about doing them with quick release license plate - sort of a base that stays and then modular swap out.

Would be easy to fab a bracket out of it. instead of the red tow hook, you have the receiver bar come out and then 90 degree into a bracket (like the Fast Toys one).

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/made-my-own-tow-hook-168049/

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
now that is pretty slick. Go Pooter!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I think I got the last one from pooter!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I thought about this a while and pulled my plate mount off, filled the holes and dropped a Elise decal over. Looks great. Next time I take my clam off, I'm going to glue some decent powered magnets on the inside of the plate mount and then I'll magnetize the plate to the mounting area and can pull it off at will without any problems. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts