The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Well, I think a lot of us dont use a front plate despite the rules. I dont use one because it's not a moving violation in CA, but a fix it ticket. Some people are working on solutions to add the plate without drilling holes in the clam.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
in NY you need a front plate,don't know what the penalty is though. :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I just received my second fix-it ticket in the past 12 months. A CHP passed me on the freeway, then traffic slowed a bit and apparently he noticed in his rear mirror that my Miata was lacking a front plate. He slowed down to get behind me and turned on his flashing lights, so I pulled over to the right shoulder and he gave me a fix-it ticket.

I gave him the story about how my plate just fell off and showed him the plate and mounting bracket in my trunk. He just said that it shouldn't be too hard for me to get it back on and took pains to emphasize that this was just a fix-it ticket.

Cost me $20 last time ($10 for the police inspection report to verify that the plate was attached and $10 to file the info with the court).

Anybody received a fix-it ticket in their Elise yet?

I do not intend to drill holes in the front plinth, but now I need to consider how to attach the license plate to pass the inspection if I receive a ticket in the Elise. Keep working on a non-invasive option people.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the front license plate law in IL is the only traffic related law that the cops let you slide on.

I've never been pulled over for not having a front plate, and never been ticketed for it when I've been pulled over for other reasons.

·
Registered
803 Posts
front license plinth

License Plate Plinth, front, federal USA / Canada A121U0001F

The pictures shows an H bracket with the legs being spaced sufficiently to bolt a license to and the horozontal portion of the H having four studs that must go through the small square section below the air intake.

I also find it fascinating that the Option section lists USA / Canada. Perhaps there is hope for the Canadians yet! There is another plinth on the page that is listed for Japan only. It seems to mount under the front clamshell.

I am not disapointed that I did not receive the front license plinth. It might have been nice to receive stainless steel mounting bolts for the back however. Even my dealer did not have any...

Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.