The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I discovered this crack on my front license plinth. No idea how this happened as there has not been any recent contact. Maybe a long ago hit finally gave way?

I've never had a fiberglass car before so I dont know how serious this is. Can anyone advise on how bad this might be? Urgent fix (to prevent spreading)? Easy fix or hard?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Today I discovered this crack on my front license plinth. No idea how this happened as there has not been any recent contact. Maybe a long ago hit finally gave way?

I've never had a fiberglass car before so I dont know how serious this is. Can anyone advise on how bad this might be? Urgent fix (to prevent spreading)? Easy fix or hard?

Thank you very much.

It's totalled. Sell it to Hayes.

But seriously, based on that picture, it's a non issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Obviously, you can pay to have a body shop to repair this small crack in the plinth. There have been discussions on this forum noting that the front plinth is a weak spot on our cars. I had a nearly identical crack on my plinth. I filled it with JB Weld Plastic to make it cosmetically look right from the front (note: I sanded the repair and color match painted it). Then I went in from behind plinth (by removing the front under tray) and reinforced the crack with fiberglass/resin. I also reinforced the entire front plinth (with fiberglass from behind) at the same time. Finally, I installed a GRP front splitter to help protect the front plinth (since it extends in front of it).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's totalled. Sell it to Hayes.

But seriously, based on that picture, it's a non issue.
Thank you. My worry was somehow that this crack would spread throughout the clam, even if there were no impacts of any kind. As I said, I'm not sure how this crack happened, as nothing hit the front end of the car before I saw this.

There is a tiny chip missing from the front end, just to the left of the plinth. I should have stepped back a bit to include that in the photo. It's really small, like a pinky finger thumb nail. I'll eventually get that fixed and the crack seen in the photo.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
The bodywork on an Elise is not laid up fiberglass, but molded FRP. Accordingly, you get weak spots if there isn't enough thickness in the mold at a tight bend, as with the rectangular shape of the plinth. The good news is that you can patch/repair/reinforce it with traditional glass cloth and resin (or structural epoxy) just like a normal piece of sprayed or laid-up FG/resin composite.

It's not rocket science, especially in your case. When you find you have an excuse to take the front clam off, get some glass cloth and resin and reinforce the back of the plinth before you put it back on. I have something similar to do to my front clam when the time comes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts