The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

what is the best way to remove the front light / pods on a '77 Esprit S1 to be able to reach the mounting bolts to remove the front bumper.

Thanks for any help!

Uwe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics, still don't know how to start on the lights and how to take them out.
I actually think on the '77 S1 it looks a little different then on your pics, I have a single motor.
Anybody done it before?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello folks,

what is the best way to remove the front light / pods on a '77 Esprit S1 to be able to reach the mounting bolts to remove the front bumper.

Thanks for any help!

Uwe
Hello Uwe,

Are you trying to remove the bumper or the light pods? Going from memory, I don't think you need to remove the light pods to remove the bumper on a single-motor car.

To remove the bumper, remove the front compartment lid, and you may have to remove the lift motor and linkage, but IIRC all of the bolts will be up there in the nose. I don't think the "buckets" where the headlamp pods sit give access to the bumper bolts.

To remove the headlamp pods, first loosen the two bolts on the cross-shaft coupler; then you can swing the pods open 180 degrees and remove the bolts that hold the metal brackets (cross shafts) to the backs of the pods.

If your headlamp pods are working properly, you might not want to mess with them -- with the single motor system, it can be time consuming to get them to open and close just right.

EDIT: I'm going to have to look on one of my S1s, because really, I don't remember having to remove the pods, but I should check to be sure . . .

Cheers,

Tony K :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tony,

that's exactly what I did last weekend, kind of learned the hard way, try and error but I figured it out. Euro bumper is on but now my front lights don't open up anymore. I can hear the relay click when I hand turn the motor. If I open the pods with the hand crank they will close with the motor the moment I close the circuit on the hood, but they don't come up when I turn the light switch on....very frustrating....any ideas?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts