The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing driving lights on my '05 Elise, but I cannot seem to get the front signal lights off. I read the other threads on the install and most mentioned that signal light removal was tricky so I expected a challenge, but I spent 20 mins or so poking around with no luck. At one point, I can feel what seems to be the latch being pushed back, but the light housings do not release.

Does anyone have any tips on removal or a good picture of the removed light so I can visualize what I am feeling for. Thank you.

Rgds, w

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, Thanks Viper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and thank you Jim, that shot really helps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wasn't able to pop out the indicator lens through the front grill, but it was easy to do through the wheel well with the fender lining off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Removing the fender liner was going to be my default if i didn't have any luck through the grill. Thanks, w

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
The first time I took those out, to put in driving lights, it took me forever. After that, it's a breeze. One thing, those tabs have a tendency to snap, so be careful. Otherwise, they'll be popping out every time you hit a bump.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
When those tabs break, the turn signal can fly out out of the hole and bang around the front of the car held on only by the wire.

Temporary fix is to pull into any auto parts store and get some adhesive in a tube.

Run a bead around the inside of the black rubber gasket on the turn signal and push it on.

Hold it on with painters tape until it drys.

It will work until you can get to the dealer.

It helps to always carry a roll of supertape, a roll of painter's tape and some adhesive in a tube in the trunk of a Lotus along with a spare can of fix a flat. Put it all in a small foam lined bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ya, one of my tabs broke. A bit brittle I'd say.

I remove my signal after the clam was off and it still broke. I'll be adding the adhesive per Larry.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ya, one of my tabs broke. A bit brittle I'd say.

I remove my signal after the clam was off and it still broke. I'll be adding the adhesive per Larry.
Great, just something else I have to look forward too when I attempt to replace my left turn signal bulb this week.:wallbang: I am now a certified right low beam installer.:clap: Those filaments just don't like the harsh ride I guess.:sad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts