The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put away the S4 for the winter a few weeks ago. One of the things on the project list is to repaint the lower front spoiler. I have not investigated it much myself yet and I'm a pretty handy guy, but wondering if anyone has done this and has a procedure and or tips that might help?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
To get that piece off the car is a LOT of work. You have to drop the "cooling package", the radiator and condenser coil and oil coolers. Probably a better way is to mask it well and paint it on the car.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've removed several spoiler lips and never had to drop the "cooling package".
Remove the undertrays, horn, and fog lights and the mounting nuts are accessible from underneath. You'll need a long extension to reach the ones at the front corners...

It's not an easy job but I wouldn't call it overly difficult either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've removed several spoiler lips and never had to drop the "cooling package".
Remove the undertrays, horn, and fog lights and the mounting nuts are accessible from underneath. You'll need a long extension to reach the ones at the front corners...

It's not an easy job but I wouldn't call it overly difficult either.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Difficult?, no, a lot of work, Yes. If you do not have to repair the part, just paint, it is not worth the work. Especially since you are not changing the color. Any competent paint shop should be capable of prepping and painting the part on the car. Do not forget when reinstalling it there is always the chance of damage so consider that too. If you had to do other work (like cleaning or replacing the radiator) then removing the part should be considered. All of the front painted parts get "Road Rash". Try Dr Color Chip (Drcolorchip.com). That might be all you need. Once you get good at it you can get some amazing results.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is my actual front spoiler. it needs to come off and done that way IMO. I was thinking of doing a slight texture with one of those stone gaurd products.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
To get that piece off the car is a LOT of work. You have to drop the "cooling package", the radiator and condenser coil and oil coolers. Probably a better way is to mask it well and paint it on the car.
David Teitelbaum
On the S4 it is not necessary to touch the radiator to remove the spoiler or the front bumper. It is a bit of work, and access to some of the fasteners is hard, but it is quite doable.

However, it is also possible to paint it in place as mentioned

Randy

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I had both parts of the front bumper resprayed on mine a few months ago, IMHO if you do one of them might as well do both pieces...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts