The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a creaking/clicking noise when cornering. This is not obviously speed dependent. Turning the steering wheel does cause this noise when the front wheels are off the ground or when the car is stationary. I also get the same noise when turning either left or right. I have bled the power steering under vacuum so I don't think that is the issue.

I'm thinking I will take the undertray/wheels off and start by checking everything is tightened to spec. Has anyone else had these same issues? Obviously the anti roll bar and drop links are possible culprits but any other suggestions would be welcome. While I am in there is there anything that is worth replacing as preventive maintenance?

The car is a 2017 Evora 400. It has about 10,000 miles on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the stock ARB bushes with the powerflex poyurethane bushes from Sherman and the creaking has gone. I assume the rubber bushes I took out were the original ones- they look like a quality product but were a bit dried out. The car (17 Evora 400) is ~2 years old and has about 10K miles. Is this the sort of life people are getting out of the original bushes? The polyurethane bushes fit perfectly and I'm not noticing any significant difference in how the car rides or corners so overall I am very pleased with them.

All of the other front suspension components and tie rods look to be in good shape and tightened to spec.

I still have an intermittent but speed independent noise when cornering. This seems to happen more when the car is warm. I'm starting to suspect the steering rack. I did put the fluid reservoir under vacuum and turned the steering wheel with the wheels off the ground 20-30 times and saw some evidence of air coming out of the fluid. But that didn't make any difference to the noise. I've read a few threads about steering racks requiring replacement. What are the symptoms? I should add that apart from the noise the steering has no play and works perfectly.

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The car (17 Evora 400) is ~2 years old and has about 10K miles. Is this the sort of life people are getting out of the original bushes?
I've had brand-new OEM front bushes go bad after 4k before. Not from a lack of lubrication either. The original set lasted about 20k, so I guess they're hit or miss on quality. The rears seemed fine though.

I too went the Powerflex route and have been very happy with them so far. Only have about 3k on them currently, but no noises, and the ride isn't significantly harsher compared to the OEM ones.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, only my front bushings appeared worn- the rears looked fine but I swapped them for the polyurethane ones since I was doing it anyway.

Still interested in any insights into the intermittent steering rack noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts