The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can purchase one of these? It bolts into the Tow Hook location. I'm tempted to fabricate it myself...

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What I did… (I think I spent less then $10 for the lot. Not including the Elise frame)

Take your factory tow ring in with you to your local Lowe’s/Home depot/what ever, and get some all thread that matches (sorry I don’t know the size off hand). 6in is good. Mine is 7in but 6in is good.

Get stainless !!!!

Get 2 nylon lock nuts 13mm and 2 normal 13mm nuts (that match the allthread)
And
2 bolts/screws and 4 serrated flange nuts. These are for the license plate (I think the bolts I used came with a license plate frame and I had to go get the bolts)
And
1in angle aluminum I used 10 inches but 9 should be good.

Need
Drill bits to match all-thread and one for the bolts
Big nail or a punch and hammer

I drilled the hole for the all-thread in the center of the angle aluminum (measured from the inside of the angle) Use the nail or scribe to scratch the measurements in to aluminum. When you have the measurement you like hit the nail to make a dimple in the aluminum. Now when you drill a hole the drill will not wander.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
After the all thread hole was made I measured out to the license plate holes. I put these holes a bit more to the edge of the aluminum angle. Use your license plate for the measurement.

I bolted the all-thread to the aluminum with a nylon bolt on the out side and a normal bolt on the inside, this will make the license plate flex a bit over the nylon bolt. run one normal and one nylon bolt about ½ the way down the all-thread for later use.

I then bolted the plate to the frame with the flange bolts. Then with the first set of flange bolts as spacers bolt to the aluminum angle.

Now go to the car and spin assembly in to the tow mount.

I kept the license plate a bit away from the car so as to act as a bit of a bumper. (it worked good once and saved the front of my car from a rock that just messed up my license plate)

You don’t want a spinning license plate up front so use two nuts.

When you get to where you want to be, tightening the first nut up to the tow mount, then tighten the nylon nut on to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Dave

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
pm Uglyduck or search for his bracket. He's fabricated a great front bracket that many of us are using in Toronto. The top of it mounts where the tow hook goes. It works with the tow hook installed aswell. It situates the bottom of the plate a little below the bottom of the car. As a result, its a great warning if you are about to scrape the fibreglass.

·
Registered
204 Posts
pm Uglyduck or search for his bracket. He's fabricated a great front bracket that many of us are using in Toronto. The top of it mounts where the tow hook goes. It works with the tow hook installed aswell. It situates the bottom of the plate a little below the bottom of the car. As a result, its a great warning if you are about to scrape the fibreglass.
catapult - can you show us a picture?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone know where I can purchase one of these? It bolts into the Tow Hook location. I'm tempted to fabricate it myself...

Thanks in advance!

Dave
DWilde - did you ever get an answer to this question?

This is a really cool bracket; I'm interested to know where to get one as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts