The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to replace the front trun signal and the socket fell through any one have any idea how to get back there? after removing the lens how do you remove the rest of the light assembly?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You are not going to like the answer to this question. Only way to access it is to remove the bumper and that is a fairly complicated undertaking. The bumper is filled with a foam insert and the light housing is between the foam and front face of the bumper. You'll have to remove the spoiler lip and undertrays, then the front valance and finally the bumper.

Here is a humorous write-up by one of our Brit brothers on the procedure:

I had the pleasure of removing one from my S4.
Begin by studying basic gynaecology and elementary contortionism.
Remove the skirt protection lip and oil cooler and radiator crap
guard panels
Remove the front skirt - there are nuts and bolts hidden all over
begining at the front of the wheel arches - all accesible from below.
There is also one at each front corner accessible through a hole in
the skirt.
Once all the bolts are undone, a bit of judicious manipulation should
free it from the bumper and the car.
Stop all bleeding, clean shredded hands, apply elastoplast as
required then continue.
Remove spare wheel and mouldy sandwiches etc. from inside bonnet
Remove ABS cover and brackets attached to inner wing and pull unit
back enough to allow access to bumper bolts.
Climb inside bonnet with suitable 10mm sockets and spanners and begin
to undo even more nuts and bolts - they run around the entire front
inner edge and the ones in the vicinity of the front corners provide
hours of harmless entertainment.
When the last one is out, grasp the bumper firmly, utter the magic
words "let go you F****** B******" and it should fall gently to the
ground.
Along the way light relief is provided by odd bits of trunking and
lighting cable plugs to undo.
Clean up, go to pub and win "hunchback of the week" prize.
Go to bed and have nightmare about putting it all back!
Geoff Moat

I do believe there is a more detailed write-up somewhere but you'll have to do a search or maybe Travis has it...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the answer i didn't want to hear LOL thanks for the info who needs blinkers

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its my firm belief that Esprits started in the lotus factory as 2 front indicators, and the car is built around them.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Its my firm belief that Esprits started in the lotus factory as 2 front indicators, and the car is built around them.
No, the car is built around the wiper motor and heater matrix. EVERYONE knows that!:facepalm

Prob what happened was, the heater core leaked onto the turn signal and burned it out.

J/K

rotfl

·
Registered
182 Posts
No, the car is built around the wiper motor and heater matrix. EVERYONE knows that!:facepalm
I guess I don't know that because I haven't tried to change out either yet....

Of course... since I type this, my heater core just exploded (despite the lack of coolant in it for over a year) and taken my wiper motor with it. haha

·
Registered
220 Posts
So I went to replace the front trun signal and the socket fell through any one have any idea how to get back there? after removing the lens how do you remove the rest of the light assembly?
the foam has give to it, you can push the assembly back into the foam , you can then twist the assembly within the bumper and have room to grab and re-seat the socket. Granted you can not remove the assemblies but you can work with them in the bumper how do I know? I had to rewire my front indicators ( 94 S4 ),they looked as if a mouse had gotten in there and chewed the wires and at the same time I hooked up the outside lights on the indicators that I guess are unhooked for some Fed regulation due to being clear lenses? It is a very tight fit but possible to do.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the foam has give to it, you can push the assembly back into the foam , you can then twist the assembly within the bumper and have room to grab and re-seat the socket. Granted you can not remove the assemblies but you can work with them in the bumper how do I know? I had to rewire my front indicators ( 94 S4 ),they looked as if a mouse had gotten in there and chewed the wires and at the same time I hooked up the outside lights on the indicators that I guess are unhooked for some Fed regulation due to being clear lenses? It is a very tight fit but possible to do.
I notice that once the lens is off the assembly pushes back a bit but not much I also noticed there is two screws on the assembly if i remove them will i have more room to push it back?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should be able to see them from under the front nose.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I notice that once the lens is off the assembly pushes back a bit but not much I also noticed there is two screws on the assembly if i remove them will i have more room to push it back?
yes the two screws remove yet another trim piece around the lenses housing giving more wiggle room, don't worry about pushing to far back in the foam you can always stuff more in back if need be, it is tight but I was able to completely rotate the lenses housing inside the bumper.

·
Registered
220 Posts
while we are in the area, anyone replaced a fog light bulb? I cannot see anyway to get to the back of it without dropping the radiators -eek-
If I remember you remove the front corner under pans, the fog light housing has a trap door on the bottom, at least on the S4.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Good info to know. I would have been afraid of cracking the housing or socket by pressing on it too much...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good info to know. I would have been afraid of cracking the housing or socket by pressing on it too much...
Don't get me wrong it is scary tight, just saying it is possible I was able to rewire both sides without breaking either housing, should have bought a lottery ticket that day :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
while we are in the area, anyone replaced a fog light bulb? I cannot see anyway to get to the back of it without dropping the radiators -eek-
As has been mentioned you will need to pull some of the front undertrays, but not the radiator. You can remove all of the front end pieces including the bumper assembly while leaving the radiator in place.

Randy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts