The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front turn signal failure

I'm at the dealership waiting on a 3rd Headlight assembly replacement (all under warranty):
- Replaced both with the infamous flaking problem (2014)
- Replaced LF when turn signal failed (2014)
- Replacing LF when turn signal failed (2016)

The fact that I'm having this done for the same reason in 2 years is to say the least, troubling. It makes me think there could be some underlying electrical problem. As of today, I'm now out of warranty (opened this ticket on this repair with 2 weeks left) but replacing this every 2 years at $1300 for the part is not something I'm hoping for. Anyone experiencing this failure or am I just that 'lucky'?

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Looking at your LED posts in 2014, I'd say you messed with the ICM and turn signal mods too much. But how were these warrantied after all that modding?

I think you ID'd your problem back then ▼:

Since I can't leave well enough alone...

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an interesting point that deserves more research. I made a mod to add a bulb to the center of the rear lights. This is used as the turn signal in the 'rest of the world' version of the Evora. Keeping with the LED lights, I added an LED light and bridge the circuit from the existing lights. The first LED I added did not have enough resistance on the circuit and the "flashing" was not working. I replaced that with a different LED and it has been working fine.

The questions I have are:
- would adding this extra bulb and resistance cause a problem on the front LED turn signal?
- if so, why was it over 2 years to show up?
- why not on the passenger side which has never failed?

I could easily revert this back to original, but there is no way to prove that this was the problem as the problem I've had with the front one being replaced has been really intermittent (2+ years?).

Any EE majors have any ideas? I guess I could measure the resistance on the circuit somehow with the extra LED in and without. Who knows what the specs are on the front turn signal LEDs are. Have others done this mod with any problems?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Have others done this mod with any problems?
I've done the same mod on mine and haven't had any issues with the front turn signals. I was even considering removing the stock rear turn signal leds from flashing, and keep only the center amber led.

I'll have to make sure I do some resistance measurements first and replicate that with the single led.

And afaik, the front turn signal leds just go bad over time, regardless of mods. And since Lotus didn't think to make them modular, the whole headlight has to be replaced if/when that happens.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I sincerely doubt you did anything to cause this as far as your tinkering goes even though it is an odd coincidence that you have had two fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts