The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on the local drive this past weekend, the right front turn signal popped out of its socket. It snapped right back in like a Lego but I not sure what caused it to come out???:confused:??? Aggressive driving causing front clam flex? Has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
992 Posts
i think i hold the record

While on the local drive this past weekend, the right front turn signal popped out of its socket. It snapped right back in like a Lego but I not sure what caused it to come out???:confused:??? Aggressive driving causing front clam flex? Has anyone had this issue?
yes, this has happened to many of us... there's a thread on it somewhere. basically, a poor design on lotus's part. it needs a better clip to attach it. some guys use a bungee cord type holder. Mine has come out at least 3 times, altho ironically never on the track. If it's under warranty have the dealer fix, if not, check out the thread i referred to.

Even if it's "fixed", it can happen again, so if u track her, make sure you "X" out both turn signals with plenty of blue painters tape. I can't believe how many guy don't do this actually.

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Warranty fix...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I will have the dealer check them both out when in for next service. Even with the basic fixes I still can't wipe the smile off my face from a fun drive!!!:D Thanks again. Dave

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Happened to me while out on a date, maybe the 3rd date. She was impressed. :rolleyes:

The one way clip on the actual signal housing broke, so it flew off and flapped a few times on the hood at highway speed. :eek:

Took it to the dealer and they broke the clip themsleves when i noticed it loose while parked in my driveway. I went and got some clear silicone caulking and stuck it on. Not flying away anymore:D

Probably not the best fix, but :shrug:

·
Registered
803 Posts
just wait, it will happen again...

Unfortunately, most dealers are not capable of completing a permanent fix. They install a new repeater lens, while making no modifications to the opening in the clam. The tab will break off again and you will be confronted yet again with the lens bouncing in the air.

The new 2008 clam has an added O ring. This is also not a good fix. When installed on my car, Lotus pinched the O ring and broke it. The lens came loose yet again.

I have mentioned a fix on my website, sandsmuseum.com, where a bungee cord is threaded into the clam and hooks onto the remnants of the broken tab.

Lotus Elise Maintenance, Indicator Lens Installation

(Sorry things are difficult to find on my site due to a reorganization...)

On my new Exige, I looped a tie wrap around the V of the retaining tab of the lens and tightened the wrap through the grille of the Exige. I have to cut the tie wrap every time I want to replace the lamp, but now it is positively retained.

Michael

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the tab break on mine, had it replaced under warranty, and then about 3 weeks later it broke again. Before I could find time to get it fixed the car got backed into, they replaced the clam and the turn signal housing again, and it hasn't popped out since, even after switching to sport pack tires and suspension. Maybe something changed in the clam design to fix it, or make it not quite as bad?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
just happened to me to haha i just received a turn signal from FVMC

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Its a simple plastic tab holding the turn signal in place. I can see how it can work itself loose. Sometimes I give the front turn signals a slight push down while walking around the car to reassure that they're holding on. I've yet to have one of mine pop loose unless I wanted it to (knock on wood).

·
Registered
112 Posts
This article saved me much headache! Thanks!

Unfortunately, most dealers are not capable of completing a permanent fix. They install a new repeater lens, while making no modifications to the opening in the clam. The tab will break off again and you will be confronted yet again with the lens bouncing in the air.

The new 2008 clam has an added O ring. This is also not a good fix. When installed on my car, Lotus pinched the O ring and broke it. The lens came loose yet again.

I have mentioned a fix on my website, sandsmuseum.com, where a bungee cord is threaded into the clam and hooks onto the remnants of the broken tab.

Lotus Elise Maintenance, Indicator Lens Installation

(Sorry things are difficult to find on my site due to a reorganization...)

On my new Exige, I looped a tie wrap around the V of the retaining tab of the lens and tightened the wrap through the grille of the Exige. I have to cut the tie wrap every time I want to replace the lamp, but now it is positively retained.

Michael

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I just filled the V clip with a strong but slightly flexible urethane giving it additional strength/support. Its held up for over 5 years now since the first one broke on me. :shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts