The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Any body know specs or have a ball joint on the bench and could grab some measurements?

Wondering what the "degrees of taper" are for the Esprit Ball joint.

researching the possibility of replacing the upper control arm with a circle track racing part - silly mental exercise. 馃槙

Hopefully its 7 degrees, which is very common. Since IIRC the front suspension parts come from a French sedan....probably a long shot.

Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
On our '88, the upper suspension wishbones are from (GASP) A Triumph Spitfire!

(Now, you know what to say when a parts guy says "What are the parts you want off of?" )

:LOL: :LOL:

Registered
My 71 Europa had lots of Spitfire front suspension parts - ball joints, uprights, spindles, steering arms, trunnions, probably brakes and steering rack, etc etc.

The good news is they were cheap and readily available. The better news is it still handled like a Lotus, not a Triumph (not that there's anything wrong with a Triumph).

I always assumed the Esprit might follow a similar path but I haven't looked into it so really not sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
OK so that is the same ball joint. Yeah I think I can order a "lotus" for like 10 pounds. I dont want to take mine apart.

Hmm maybe I should just buy one of the ball joints and see if it fits in the spindle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Your right - those bushings are much bigger.

Man those coil overs 馃槏馃い

Registered
no, but I did switch the Lowers to the later V8 conical bushings with my own conical sleeves.
The idea is that under braking (with the larger 4 piston brakes and 328x35mm rotors) the wishbone will try to deflect, but the bushing is tapered to provide more material thickness as this happens. Where a normal cylindrical bushing gets pinched at the edge. I did think about cutting off the ends of the bushing and using Delrin washers... But that seemed to defeat the idea of using the bushing deflection as a part of the compliance of the suspension. The Delrin adds a slip layer, preventing the center sleeve from being fully clamped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts