The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you all make of the slight curve along the top edges of my front most upper control arm mounts on both sides? They've been that way since I bought the car (used) 2 years ago. There aren't any spots that are cracked or de-bonded.

I have seen mounts that are badly damaged or torn from collisions, but these are similarly bent on each side.

Impressions? Sorry for the low-res photos. I'll try to get some better ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I`m thinking the car is no longer safe...just give it to me i`ll get rid of it for you :D

Honesly, as long as nothing changes, no cracking or anything (over 2 years) you should be fine. Maybe just keep checking it every now an then to make sure it`s still the same.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Better photos needed. From these, doesn't look to be a big deal...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Another vote for "not a big deal". If you're worried you might check the upper arm bolts for tightness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am considering buying this car from exeeejme and I plan to track it regularly. Is this something I need to worry about? Have people see this kind of suspension mount distortion on these cars before? What about track use of a car in this state? I agree with the general consensus that it is likely no big deal since there is no indication of cracking or debonding and it has been like that for 2 years. But, evidence of this on other cars, especially tracked ones, would go a log way toward providing piece of mind that everything is OK. If anyone has pics from their car showing similar distortion that they would be willing to post, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
After looking at the pictures (and pictures of my own upper arm mounting brackets)... it's obvious that there is a large oval hole cut or punched in the forward mount, and a smaller round one cut in the rear mount. I'm guessing that they're there for ease of assembly (especially those annoying washers that I just rearranged for caster adjustment).

So two thoughts...

1) I doubt that the thin piece on the extreme edge is structurally critical... otherwise there probably wouldn't be a large hole next to it.

2) I wonder if the assembly process sometimes bends that piece slightly; possibly even the process of punching out the access hole...

Just wondering...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Better pictures added.
I still think that the distortion was unlikely to have been caused by stress on the upper control arm... looks like it might have happened during assembly or reassembly....

EDIT: it looks like someone might have stuck a screwdriver or pry bar into the extrusion to check for play?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts