The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the track the other day for a little fun and a new problem started occurring mid-day. In a hard right hand turn the left front wheel developed what I can only describe as a click, although it wasn't necessarily audible (too noisy with wind and engine rev'd). Anyway, it could definitely be felt in my seat and the steering wheel, and it varied with speed. I checked for rocks and played with the air pressure a little as the wear pattern looked like the tires were slightly over inflated. Went back out and it continued under hard cornering so I called it a day and switched to my MR2 for the rest of day, probably a good thing as I had a backwards off when a thunderstorm came through and turned the track into a lake :facepalm.

I've read through the threads regarding audible clicking in the rear, doesn't sound like the same thing as it only occurs under high lateral load. I'm thinking it's the wheel bearing, haven't had a chance to put in on the lift to look it over yet. Has anyone run into a similar problem or have had to replace their front hubs yet?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Clicking noise from front wheel

Did You re-torque the wheel nuts?

Anton

Went to the track the other day for a little fun and a new problem started occurring mid-day. In a hard right hand turn the left front wheel developed what I can only describe as a click, although it wasn't necessarily audible (too noisy with wind and engine rev'd). Anyway, it could definitely be felt in my seat and the steering wheel, and it varied with speed. I checked for rocks and played with the air pressure a little as the wear pattern looked like the tires were slightly over inflated. Went back out and it continued under hard cornering so I called it a day and switched to my MR2 for the rest of day, probably a good thing as I had a backwards off when a thunderstorm came through and turned the track into a lake :facepalm.

I've read through the threads regarding audible clicking in the rear, doesn't sound like the same thing as it only occurs under high lateral load. I'm thinking it's the wheel bearing, haven't had a chance to put in on the lift to look it over yet. Has anyone run into a similar problem or have had to replace their front hubs yet?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Torqued them at the begging of the day, didn't think to re-torque them after it started happening.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
pull the wheel off and look around...if the bearing is going you should see some heat discoloration or distortion that'll give it away. That would be my first step, and check the front left against he front right hubs/bearings to see if you can notice any differences.

I'm sure someone more savvy can provide a more detailed way to look for it.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Confirm by driving down a straight road and weaving L<--->R. If its a bearing you should hear it whenever it gets loaded. I'd be surprised unless you were running slicks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No just running Corsa's, I would be surprised also as I haven't heard of that being an issue yet. I'm only at 11k miles and just a few track days and although I like to think I push it I'm sure I leave plenty out on the track.

When I get a chance to inspect things more closely this weekend I'll report back if I find anything telling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What did you find?
I'm having the same issue in my 05 Elise. Under high cornering loads in right turns, there is a loud clicking with each rotation of the left front wheel.
Can a bad bearing make noise only under cornering load, and not when going straight?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts