The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car on stands several times recently and noticed that front wheels don't spin for more than half a revolution when up in the air. Pads are relatively new, but I'm still a bit worried that caliper cylinder is not letting go enough.

Think I should get it checked out, maybe clean the caliper? Both front wheels do it. Car has 18K miles on it, pads have around 1500 miles on them, half of it just highway cruising, though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What do you mean "hung up"? Like they were stuck to the pistons? I cleaned mine today and it is a little better but not totally free.
No, like they don't slide smoothly away from the rotor because the edges of the pad backing plate that touch the caliper (not the piston) get "hung up" on the calipers where the pad backing plates are supposed to slide against the caliper (not the piston).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A bit of brake drag is normal for the Elise. I even checked with the dealer on this. There is no spring to push the pads away from the disk - just a release of pressure. Hence, they drag slightly. If the pads did fully retract, then you would have to push the brake pedal even further than you do know to engage the brakes.

I have even seen it on other car types (Hondas, BMWs, ...) at autocrosses when one is cornering hard enough for a wheel to lift. The wheel quickly stops spinning.

·
Registered
753 Posts
No, like they don't slide smoothly away from the rotor because the edges of the pad backing plate that touch the caliper (not the piston) get "hung up" on the calipers where the pad backing plates are supposed to slide against the caliper (not the piston).
Gotcha. Thanks. I cleaned all of the surfaces and it is a bit better.

·
Registered
545 Posts
+1 for the brake drag when the wheels are off the ground.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was going to but I wanted to see if it was just a build up of dust. I will grease them next time. Thanks for the info.
In fact, for the stock pads, I had to file the edge down a little to get rid of the nasty edge of the backing plate "burnout" where it contacts the caliper.
For the price on those pads you'd hope for at least a Plasma cut backing plate as a min ...... but hey, do what you gotta do ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts