The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive have my evora for about two weeks now, I was driving on the hiway today and a huge rock pelted the front windshield and put a 4" star crack in it! And the front layer of glass when the rock hit it just turned the glass to dust about the size of a dime.
Has anybody had their front window replaced on their evora?

·
Super Moderator
6,571 Posts
I had my Exige S windshield replaced. I snagged the only available windshield in the US. Insanely expensive. Glad my deductible is $100.

San

·
Registered
396 Posts
Maybe worth a shot. Had a resin repair done on my Audi. It's not perfect, but neither is ripping out the windshield and putting in a new one. I shouldnt cost you anything for a resin repair.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Repairing it is very possible.It will cost around 60-100 dollars im guessing VS how ever much a windshield is.
I'm not sure about TX, but in FL insurance companies are mandated to repair/replace the windshield without a deductible.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Not repairable, but if it's not in your field of view why not just leave it be?

The glass itself isn't expensive for the Elise (about $300), but I have been told it's a PITA to replace? I'd imagine the Evora being it's a pretty new model would be a bit tougher to get glass for it though.

·
Super Moderator
6,571 Posts

The glass itself isn't expensive for the Elise (about $300), but I have been told it's a PITA to replace? I'd imagine the Evora being it's a pretty new model would be a bit tougher to get glass for it though.
How is a windshield not in your field of view? Maybe you're not looking?

San

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I am not sure what the controversy is here. It is clearly (pun) a replacement. San is spot on.
Earlier today, I took the Elise out for a spin after over a month of mecha-necking. At about 100 mph a vulture fell off of the mountain along the road. Missed the front of the car by inches. Wingspan was the full width of the car. I am thinking of replacing the windshield because it was such a close call. 4" star? No contest. Replace.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Chill out and stop throwing insults around. It is not acceptable and completely unnecesary.

Thanks

A) its ugly
B) unrepaired cracks spread and 4" will soon be 14" then 40"

How is a windshield not in your field of view? Maybe you're not looking?

San
If it is not in the area swept by the wipers it is technically not in field of view :)

But from the photo that is definitely in a "replace only" zone (but its size dictates that anyway).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What the heck, I'm not insulting anyone! Where is that coming from?

Yes it'll keep on cracking, but if you have luck like me you could drive around for years with a busted windshield with no more rock chips, but a few days after putting new glass in, BOOM, big freaking rock cracks it again. :mad:

Sure it's ugly but I bet the bill to replace it won't look too nice either :sad:

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
What the heck, I'm not insulting anyone! Where is that coming from?
You didn't :)

I deleted the offending posts and was pointing it out the originators of those posts.

Yes it'll keep on cracking, but if you have luck like me you could drive around for years with a busted windshield with no more rock chips, but a few days after putting new glass in, BOOM, big freaking rock cracks it again. :mad:

Sure it's ugly but I bet the bill to replace it won't look too nice either :sad:
Yes that is always possible... but like stone chips and dents I like to get rid of them rather than drive around with them... that is a cost I'll put up with so my car looks good to me :up:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Good luck with that. Let us know below the replacement goes. Personally I would repair it first since my insurance covers that for free. Could save me $1300 or whatever it costs...

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Ok, guess I will put my $.02 in

Its a $60k+ car
anyone who buys such a car is clearly a "car person" and cares about
If I had a dent in the car that size I would pay the cost to get it fixed.I have no problem spending some $$ to keep my ride looking new.
A crack in the glass is worse. Higly visible and possibly dangerous.
Who just "leaves" damage to thier cars?:confused:

If you don't care about your cars appearance, just come here to the midwest I'm sure you can find a nice hail damaged sports car on the cheap;)

Again just my .02

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mister2, please keep us posted on your experience, specifically the availability and shipping time of replacement windshields if you go that route.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts