The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day, I had to be at work from about 6AM to 7PM. When I got out to my Elise, it was just below freezing. I pressed the unlock button. Sure enough, I got the beep and the doors unlocked. Then I tried to open the boot. The key wouldn't turn. I tried opening the driver's side door and the button wouldn't budge, so I went over to the passenger's side. I pressed hard with both thumbs and it finally gave. I then went back to the driver's side door and tried blowing hot air against the button, which probably looked pretty weird in a dark parking lot. It would not open. I ended up having to climb over to the driver's seat from the passenger's seat (thankfully not too hard in this car). I plan on using this car as my daily driver, but this poses a rather embarrassing problem. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know of any solutions?

Also, I guess it wasn't the lock that was frozen, but the button, because the doors were unlocked but the latches wouldn't release.

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one! But I'll pass haha. I love visiting but I don't think I'd like to live there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Spray WD40 into the frozen lock and work the key around until it opens. You can also heat up the key with a lighter or small torch, but careful of your fingers!

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a can of Lock-Ease and sprayed all of the locks twice. The locks haven't given me any trouble since, so good fix. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.