The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, I had to be at work from about 6AM to 7PM. When I got out to my Elise, it was just below freezing. I pressed the unlock button. Sure enough, I got the beep and the doors unlocked. Then I tried to open the boot. The key wouldn't turn. I tried opening the driver's side door and the button wouldn't budge, so I went over to the passenger's side. I pressed hard with both thumbs and it finally gave. I then went back to the driver's side door and tried blowing hot air against the button, which probably looked pretty weird in a dark parking lot. It would not open. I ended up having to climb over to the driver's seat from the passenger's seat (thankfully not too hard in this car). I plan on using this car as my daily driver, but this poses a rather embarrassing problem. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know of any solutions?

Also, I guess it wasn't the lock that was frozen, but the button, because the doors were unlocked but the latches wouldn't release.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There is a fix for that. It's called California.

Just kidding, you really don't want to move here. Not worth it.

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one! But I'll pass haha. I love visiting but I don't think I'd like to live there.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Maybe leave work with a cup of warm water and pour it on the lock. Not sure if there is any other way to prevent it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Try putting some graphite oil in the lock and on the button just like you would do on any other car in order to keep the locks from freezing.

MGA Universal Tech - Graphite Oil (lock lubricant)

Or spend 5 bucks on a battery powered defrost key for your key chain

51n+kNmWc0L._SL1300_.jpg

·
Registered
455 Posts
Spray WD40 into the frozen lock and work the key around until it opens. You can also heat up the key with a lighter or small torch, but careful of your fingers!

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give that Lock-Ease a shot.

·
av8or21
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a can of Lock-Ease and sprayed all of the locks twice. The locks haven't given me any trouble since, so good fix. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts