The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else frustrated with the "official" Lotus forum? The officials on the site seem to know very little, and seem to have a poor attitude as well. I'm tempted to frequent this forum and completely abandon that one.

Am I being thin-skinned, or is this a common concern?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
This topic has been discussed previously. Please use the search feature. ;)

PS: This thread is now locked.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
:confused: I thought that the Lotus forum was being run for our benefit, but apparently not. It's not very user friendly. Threads are being locked for no apparent reason. Discussion is cut off with instructions to use the search function, when the answer could be given in a sentence or two. Lotus is not releasing much factual infomation via the forum.

So, why bother? Well, some people only belong to the "official" forum and I do learn some useful info from time to time.

Locking a poll on ABS brakes seems rather unnecessary to me. I don't see the harm. Lotus can choose to respond or consider our comments, or not. They heard the demand for Chrome Orange and made it happen. They may not be able to do that for other things. Locking the thread on Ice Blue as a color option also seemed ridiculous, now that I think about it.

We still have a long ways to go until April 2004, so I probably will continue to cruise around the different forums (fora?). But I wouldn't blame anyone who abandoned the Lotus forum.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems that they are locking things that are in their best interest to lock. They aren't being very democratic about the whole thing.

I'm leaning toward frequenting this great (and open) forum, and saving some time by skipping that one. I think that there is enough "cross pollenation" of topics that I wouldn't miss much -(except for that which I would like to miss!)

Thomas

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just got off the other forum and logged on here with the intent to start a thread titled "Official Lotus Forum is Evil." Then I found this thread and decided to chime in here.

Lotus admin is a jerk. Lets not invite him to our Elise gatherings. Now I am taking my ball and going home.

p.s.

this forum is cool

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The way that I see it, our enthusiasm (be it genuine, naive, misinformed and / or childish) should be cherished by Lotus (and the people who moderate the forum for them).

Thomas

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Thomasio said:
I'm tempted to frequent this forum
Well, I think that is a good idea :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Notice: This thread is based on speculation. It is now locked. :p

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Seriously folks. I don't harbor any real ill feelings toward Lotus Administrator....despite having 3 of my thread locked. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The reason being is that Lotus Administrator (“LA”) is actually an employee for Lotus NA and monitoring the board is part of his job.

In contrast, this board, like many other forums is enthusiast owned and operated. Now, I'm not saying LA isn't an enthusiast, but there's a different between moderating a board as part of your job description vs. moderating a board (using some out of pocket expenses) as a hobby.

The official Lotus board does get more traffic that EliseTalk, I think, because there's a hyperlink from the Lotus website, which obviously is the first place people will look when seeking Lotus information.

Perhaps Lotus has overly stringent policies re: it's forum. Hopefully, in the future LA will be able to strike the balance between allowing freedom of topics and limiting hostile and way off topic threads.

But giving the choice of the two, I prefer the atmosphere on EliseTalk. Thanks Randy! :D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I should also note that we are fortunate to have a pretty good quality of posters here. The link from the lotus website also drives in the casual and the trolls. One might suggest more effort be given to sifting out the casual clueless, and not being so hard on those on the waiting list. But as you note, that is his job. This is not mine. Though I spend most of my days doing this. :)

This is just one of my forums. I run or admin quite a few of them. Some with a little traffic, some with a lot of traffic.

I believe that Lotus Admin is the same person (Donovan?) that did the official website design for LotusUSA.

I really appreciate the activity here. I started this forum a LONG time ago with the intention of being the premier Elise forum. Of course, at that time, the only other choice was Roadfly. I like Roadfly, but to me it has limitations I can't get over. Perhaps some people will always like that sort of format. I don't. Other forums have come and gone. It was disappointing to see that Lotus was going to get into the forum business, because it's hard to compete with an "official" site. Still, I think we can.

Where we are now is nothing compared to what we will be after the cars are released. Meets. Track events. Lots of tech tips. Suppliers. And a lot more. I believe that having an "unofficial" site is a good thing. We can say anything we want without worrying about The Man. :)

And you are right. I can't speak for LA, but I love this car and I love motorsports. That is why I do this. I am in this for the long haul.

Lastly... I am thinking of some ideas. More to come....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kudos Randy. This is a quality site with intelligent posters. That's not something I can say about many other forums. :(

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
This topic has been discussed previously. Please use the search feature. ;)

PS: This thread is now locked.
ROTFLOL Literally! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long while. I am still laughing.

Got to agree with Randy, the official site will pull in a lot of trolls (as most of you have probably seen) and they need to toe the official line and not spread rumours. So I don't hold any bad feelings, they are just the way they are.

So as Randy's promotion says: (sic) We welcome gossip and speculation here :D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
smura said:
Yea, but the "official" board has lesbians (well, at least one)

That will keep me visiting for awhile.
LOL.

That was an interesting diversion there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lol, what a tangent. Nice.

My tuppence worth:
The unofficial boards will be more popular than the official ones... IIRC SELOC has 600 active members and about 3000 in total. It's been running less than a year so far. How many elises were ever made?

The official lotus boards have got to be moderated - Lotus can't very well have people logging on and saying things like "these cars are dangerous" etc - so they have to look after it. I'm surprised they try. I can't think of another automaker that allows forums.

While we're on the topic, kudos to Randy for running this board out his own pocket. (well, conecam's, but really his at the end of the day).. without which I'd not be sharing this opinion with you all.

As long as it stays fun to do so, I'll be on here. Hell, I might move to the US and make it official!

Craigy

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
smura said:
Yea, but the "official" board has lesbians (well, at least one)

That will keep me visiting for awhile.
As far as the lesbians go....that girl was on my nerves from day one. She seems to like to broadcast that she's a single girl living in a gated community and she sails and has this and has that....reminds me of a Paris Hilton type who has to make sure she's the center of attention for some reason. I bet she'll announce soon that she doesnt wear underwear. *I suddenly remember Im on a forum full of guys who would prolly like that...so I digress ;)
When she announced to all the guys this morning that they need to keep on looking because even though shes a HOT catch...shes a lesbo...I about spit my coffee out. LOL. To each their own I guess...but damn.

Think of it this way. When the topic of Lesbians comes up on Lotus forum again the Lotus Admin can say,
This topic has been discussed previously. Please use the search feature and how many official car forums can say that!!

Oh yeah, and KUDOS to Randy for running the site out of pocket, I have a meager 4,000 member site and it costs me loads of time and headaches and I think Randy works with some much larger than that..so he's a good man for taking this on.

Cheers to Randy.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'd also like to take a moment to say that I officially loathe all the 16 and 17 year old persons on the Lotus forum who say they have deposits down.

I got my first car in 1992 when I graduated from High School. It was a 1983 Volvo turbo....$3300 and I was GLAD to have it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I'd also like to take a moment to say that I officially loathe all the 16 and 17 year old persons on the Lotus forum who say they have deposits down.

I got my first car in 1992 when I graduated from High School. It was a 1983 Volvo turbo....$3300 and I was GLAD to have it.
My first car was a Ford Ka (that's a microscopically small car to you lot) - I very nearly got an elise for my first car but I bailed on that when I found out that the insurance would have been well over $3500 a year.

Still, I only kept the Ka a year! I got the elise right after.

Craigy (spoilt b4$t4rd, I know...)

ps. Hey, we've got onefastmiata for a female perspective! yay!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts