The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me. Help me. I'm sure you had run into this. Many times.

True Scenerio #1 (last Sunday)
At the light waiting to change green. Two teenagers in a new GT Mustang with loud exhaust is even with my Elise. The light changes, so I accelerate slowly, to not stir things up. Same with the Mustang, but he gunned Mustang several times trying to get me to race, laughed and took off like a bat from hell. What did I do? Nothing. I'm not into signal light street racing. Augh.:huh:
The Mustang stops at the next light, waits, and turns right, clipping the wheel/tire on the curb sharply. I'm sure he damaged his wheel. At least he was punished.

True Scenario #2 (today)
At the light waiting to change green. An older man (30ish) in an older NA Miata (I had THREE Miatas before my Elise and I know what they can do) Surprisingly, the Miata takes off (must be redlining it) to get in front of my Elise. What do I do? Nothing. All I could think is "What an idiot".

I felt so frustrated, but I should NOT be frustrated. Obviously, our Elises can easily overtake these cars. But the outcome is too risky. So we do nothing.

What do you do to avoid the frustration?

--Hal

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rotfl I thought of that when I was writing this post. But I thought "Nah, no one will think of that. Except Mopho." rotfl

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't really understand why you'd feel any frustration in such cases - just let them go, and go on your own merry way. It sounds like perhaps your issue is that you really do want to race them for some reason - you need to talk yourself out of thinking that there's any reason to do so.

John

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, what a provoking post.rotfl

NO....I found how to avoid frustration. Post it.;)

--Hal

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You rev your engine at them, then watch them takeoff. Hopefully there's a cop down the road...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Usually my window is down, and again also USUALLY the intended behavior is normally advance-indicated somehow. Next to you they start revving, do quick "inch-up's" or what-have-you. DON'T BE AFRAID TO MAKE EYE CONTACT. That is my key.

If you "IGNORE" them (I think they think it is "conspicuous ignoring" if you know what I mean) it only seems to egg them on - as you have experienced.

Again - USUALLY, making eye contact will usually strike up some sort of "communication" between you. Either verbal or even non-verbal.

Verbal Example:
Punk (of any age): Wanna Race? (or "let's go... or whatever)
You: Simply: No, no thanks. No need (or again... whatever - but KEY... TRY to be non-condescending/intimidating - sometimes even complimenting - whether you mean it or not, their car here, can help).

Non-Verbal Example:
Punk: Revvs, gestures, etc....
You: (remember you've MADE EYE CONTACT) Simple shake of the head.

Either of the above, in my experience USUALLY works. Will you still get the persistent one's however from time-to-time, no matter what you do? Of course you will. Nothing you can do about 'em. Just drive as YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD is all you can do. Unless you absolutely can not be "detoured" (late for an appointment or what-have-you) try just turning off away from them. If you are in the left lane - find a safe SOON left turn and exit. If in the right lane - turn off to the right. Diffuses the situation (USUALLY) <---my key word here eh, for this post.

Try to keep a smile on your face, and not let these instances :wallbang: you too much.

Good Luck!
-Grant

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really understand why you'd feel any frustration in such cases - just let them go, and go on your own merry way. It sounds like perhaps your issue is that you really do want to race them for some reason - you need to talk yourself out of thinking that there's any reason to do so.

John

You're absolutely right, John. There is an issue.
Also, track sessions helps. I just think "keep it on the track, not on the public street". Then I feel better. So, it's either a session with a psychologist or a session on the track. I'll pick track.

--Hal

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
whenever i meet people like that at a light i make eye contact with them and inch-up and rev and again inch-up and rev....this gets them really amped up and when the light turns green they take off while i take off like a normally do.

I've done this a lot of times...and there has been 3 instances where there was a cop down the street that flagged them down. When i'm passing i usually look at them and laugh.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just laugh at them. I've done this several times and it pisses them off but they eventually just drive off. I've never had a more expensive car try to race me so I don't have a suggestion for what to do in that scenario. Actually I did have a M6 try to gun it from behind at a light and show me what he had, but he wasn't beside me so I couldn't establish eye contact and try laughing at him. I did have a go with him until 80mph but at that point he was several car lengths back, so I just slowed down. With the turbo, there's kinda no point anyway - my car will smoke 99.9% of cars on the street, so I've got nothing to prove. That's probably the mentality you should have - nothing to prove, and if you have the itch, take it the track.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Hal, this is an interesting dilemma but it has an easy answer.

Warning, heavy philosophical comments ahead!! … :panic:

The root of the problem is reacting to exterior influences and the answer lies in interior stability and focus. On the track you shouldn’t be forced to do something by another driver that you wouldn’t otherwise do. If someone is on your a$$ going into a turn, more than likely you should still take that turn based on your personal skill level. You may push it a bit, but should only push it within your comfort zone. Otherwise you are asking for trouble. If someone is ‘hitting the jackpot’ at a broken ATM, your actions should be driven by your personal view of right and wrong …not theirs. Everyone has a personal code of action and conduct and innately knows (within themselves) what is right and wrong, and when they’ve “crossed the line”. It may be tough to admit sometime, but deep down …we know it. It’s really a personal thing that goes beyond the ‘law’. Just because someone is revving their engine and laying tire on a public street shouldn’t trigger the same inappropriate and possibly dangerous behavior in you. It’s REALLY just a game, and that’s all that it is …nothing more. Just choose to play or not …based on YOUR rules …not theirs. Like it or not, we have to take responsibility for our own actions and the bottom line is that you can’t blame others for something that you’ve done …no matter how much they ‘encourage’ you. -poke-

Whew… heavy $hit …but you asked for it. :D

- z

·
Registered
852 Posts
You're absolutely right, John. There is an issue.
Also, track sessions helps. I just think "keep it on the track, not on the public street". Then I feel better. So, it's either a session with a psychologist or a session on the track. I'll pick track.

--Hal
No doubt. If you don't feel the desire to prove yourself to the teenagers in the mustang revving next to you, it's pretty easy to just let them speed off and go your own way. But I know from experience it can take a little work to develop this perspective...

Either that, or you can print Zen's post and keep it in your car, and read it to anybody who wants to race until they're too confused to know what to do :D

John

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Remind yourself, Lotus brings out the worst in OTHER drivers and just go along your merry way. If others want to act like idiots, that's their buisness.
If you act like an idiot then you are no better.
Mature versus immature. Take your pick.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Every GD day some j-off in a Scion or Honda wants to race me. After a while, you just get immune to the stupidity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I get it almost every day from someone in a early 90s civic/accord with a fart can.
I just ignore them and I have only had the car for a week. My previous car got way WAY more ricer kids trying to race.
I used to rev a bunch and then just take off like normal when it turned green, but I don't even do that anymore.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
When every you feel angry or stressed , just look at phillip.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/27QLzhC5YAE&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/27QLzhC5YAE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 - 20 of 62 Posts