Discussion Starter #1
For Sale:

2005 Lotus Elise
Ardent Red
Star Shield
Touring Pack
500 Miles

Located in San Francisco.

Took delivery 1 week ago. Owner has decided not to keep the vehicle.

$52k, pictures and detailed information on request.

email [email protected] for more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
market seems to be about 46 now. Pretty much the same as it costs to drive a new one off the lot with tax and everything.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
no luck wished from me. i hope a large truck takes it out in a hit and run when the car is parked and you lose your ass on it :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
LotusLust said:
no luck wished from me. i hope a large truck takes it out in a hit and run when the car is parked and you lose your ass on it :D
Ouch. Remind me not to get in your way on Friday! :p

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: bmc

raggedy1 said:
i believe bmc in SF charges 2.5K over sticker so the owner paid a little more than sticker for the car so that should be the starting point, no?

in sf and interested...
With sales tax, license and a 2.5k premium, the actual cost was just near $50k.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Coincidentally, my car is optioned the same way, and here's my notepad:
Code:
$40,930 Base
    995 Star Shield
  1,350 Touring Pack
    795 Destination
     45 doc prep
  2,500 Extra dealer profit
-------
 46,615 subtotal

3,613 7.75% sales tax (Rancho Mirage )
   $349 license fee (est)

50,576 Total OTD
So you get to pay the dude $1500 to put those first 500 miles on it for you.

Seriously though, if you're hard up for a car Right Freekin Now, that might be the smallest premium yet ($4000 over MSRP) if you can get out of paying a second glob of sales tax.

I'm glad to see premiums coming down. Maybe by the time my 2007 car gets here, they won't be able to charge dealer market bloat any more. :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Are you sure that the sales tax for vehicles is not different? Here in Texas the car sales tax was something like 6.25%. Sales tax I think is 8.25% I know that they are different in different states.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Mean TT said:
Are you sure that the sales tax for vehicles is not different? Here in Texas the car sales tax was something like 6.25%. Sales tax I think is 8.25% I know that they are different in different states.
sales tax for the State of Texas is 6.25%

anything you pay above that is local sales tax, which you do not pay on cars

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
This sale is based in San Francisco, which I believe is over 8 percent?

Here in San Diego, it's 7.75%

There is no difference for cars in California.

And to be clear, it's really not a tax on the car, it's a tax on the transaction. The State Board of Equalization likes to make that distinction. You can buy a car and sell it a week later. Two transactions. Ack. Unless of course you are a dealer with a resale license.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Here in Missouri, we also pay sales tax on used cars. If I were to buy it, I would have to add on Missouri sales tax when I register it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

sales tax in SF is 8.5%

my concern (however paranoid) is that I won't see a car for nearly 2 years and I'm not sure I want to chance that

#50 at a dealer that has delivered 4 customer cars plus a demo. No info on allocation available, so if I assume, what, maybe 3 cars a month I'm 15 months away

that's assuming a number that may not be realistic or may be conservative - who knows!

I went to look at a C6 today but it hadn't arrived yet. looks like the chevy dealers will be asking a premium for awhile so that won't be an option either even if i liked the car. I have a VERY hard time even thinking about paying over msrp

hard up for an elise? yes, i guess i am but i haven't jumped yet.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
MikeRoberts44 said:
Here in Missouri, we also pay sales tax on used cars.
Yes, but you also get a refund if you sell a used car. It's actually a very fair system. The original buyer pays the tax on the purchase price. From then on, the state doesn't get any more money. In a private transaction, the buyer pays tax on the price, while the seller gets a refund on the same amount.

Of course it might not work as well if the car comes from a different state.

·
Registered
727 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Yes, but you also get a refund if you sell a used car. It's actually a very fair system. The original buyer pays the tax on the purchase price. From then on, the state doesn't get any more money. In a private transaction, the buyer pays tax on the price, while the seller gets a refund on the same amount.

Of course it might not work as well if the car comes from a different state.
You are a bit more optimistic in our State Government than I am. It actually works fairly well if you trade in your existing car for a more expensive one. In my case, I am planning to replace both my Elan and my DeLorean with the Elise. Missouri supposedly has a form to fill out for a partial refund of sales tax paid when you register a new car and separatly sell another one. I ordered that form on line over six months ago. It has not showed up yet. I would like to review the form because no one in the Department of Revenue seems to be able to tell me if I can deduct the sales price of both cars. They did mention that the separate sale has to be within six months of new car purchase.

A couple of things are clear:
1. If the SF guy recovers California sales tax in his price, Missouri will collect sales tax on the California sales tax. Fair?
2. If I sell a car without buying another within six months, the buyer pays sales tax on a car I have already paid sales tax on. Fair?
3. I am willing to bet that I cannot recover sales tax on both car sales. Fair?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts