The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Sale: 1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi

This low mileage example has Calypso red exterior paint and the tan leather interior. Other than the front lower valence (repainted in 2013) and fresh silver paint on the BBS rims, paint is believed to be original and is in very nice condition. Car has 23,880 original miles and always draws a crowd at local car shows. Previous owner said the interior headliner had been replaced, as well as the trunk/boot carpeting.

This Giugiaro styled Esprit was delivered to its original owner in Pennsylvania and then purchased by a collector in Florida. I bought the car from a local (Austin) enthusiast in 2010. At the time, I wasn’t even in the market for another car, much less a classic Esprit, but I saw an ad on this forum and went to check out the car since it was within an hour or less drive. It’s been a nice garage mate to the Elise, but I need to sell it to help offset the costs of another car purchase.

Since 2010, I’ve invested between $4,000 – 5,000 in the Esprit, including:
• New gas tailgate struts (2013)
• Paint work, front lower valence and rims; installed new outer door latches (2013)
• Complete new set of ball joints and suspension bushings, and shifter linkage bushings (2012)
• New BFG tires in the correct original sizes (2011)
• Repair/replacement – emission hose between fuel tanks (2010)
• Alpine stereo head unit and installation of new speakers (2010)

Car comes with Lotus factory service manual and Lotus factory parts manual in binders, plus a few spare parts. Includes receipts and maintenance records since 2007.

VIN SCCFC20A9GHF60778. I have a clear Texas title for the car.

As far as pricing for the car, I’ve looked at values in the Hagerty Price Guide as well as some recent ads for S3 Esprits. According to their condition ratings, this car falls somewhere between a Condition 2 and 3, although closer to a 2. Prices in those two categories range from $20,100 to $25,600. I am asking $23,900 for this car (which may be a little optimistic, but it is in really nice condition overall). If the car doesn’t sell on this forum, I plan to consign it at the local Lotus dealership, so the pricing may go up just a bit. Right now, I’m open to reasonable offers in this ballpark.

Contact me at [email protected] with questions or comments about the car, or for additional photos. These photos were taken last spring at a show in Houston.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm finally getting some interest in the car, so it's probably time to post some more photos. Here are some of the interior:

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More interior. The seats and leather is all original and is still supple and free of tears. The headliner (as well as the rear carpet in the engine bay) has been replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
THAT is a beautiful car! I owned an 84 Calypso red with tan interior. Not the same mechanically, but virtually the same visually. I've owned 10 Lotus, including vintage (Europa) and modern (Elise and Exige) and the G bodied Esprit got more attention than any other.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments--I agree that this car gets tons of attention on the road and anywhere I stop.

Two of its best features that you likely won't find on other more modern cars:
inboard rear brakes (for unsprung weight savings) and dual gas tank fillers, letting you pull up to either side of the pump!

·
Registered
903 Posts
just perusing this section and had to comment... absolutely stunningly beautiful. If I had room in my garage or wasn't as attached to my Elise I'd be on the phone. This is a really lucky find for someone looking for a G body

·
Registered
537 Posts
Scott,

Lotus owners can often be put into categories, like Polishers, Wrenchers and Drivers. They're all good, and many owners fit in more than one. Based upon your posts above, I'm thinking you're at least a Polisher. All those pictures of a very nice, clean Esprit, and not one shot of the engine bay, open wheel wells (suspension & brakes) or underside of the car. Feed the wrenchers!
;-)

How about some nuts & bolts photos and a little more about the service History. When was the timing belt last changed or re-tensioned, in time & miles? Are the alternator, water pump, vacuum pump and shocks original? Have the brake and clutch hydraulics been rebuilt? Is the transaxle all original (input circlip upgrade, etc)?

I wish I were a customer but unfortunately I'm not (sorry if it seems like I'm stirring your Froot Loops to no real end). However, I will be watching the sale with great interest as a test of where the G-Turbo market is these days. I'm thinking your opening price is optimistic. You may as well start high (no one will ever sell you up), but you might just have to be a little flexible. Either way, best of luck.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scott,

Lotus owners can often be put into categories, like Polishers, Wrenchers and Drivers. They're all good, and many owners fit in more than one; but based upon your posts above, I'm thinking you're a Polisher. All those pictures of a very nice, clean Esprit, and not one shot of the engine bay, open wheel wells (suspension & brakes) or underside of the car. Feed the wrenchers!
;-)

How about some nuts & bolts photos and a little more about the service History. When was the timing belt last changed or re-tensioned, in time & miles? Are the alternator, water pump, vacuum pump and shocks original? Have the brake and clutch hydraulics been rebuilt? Is the transaxle all original (input circlip upgrade, etc)?

I wish I were a customer but unfortunately I'm not (sorry if it seems like I'm stirring your Froot Loops to no real end). However, I will be watching the sale with great interest as a test of where the G-Turbo market is these days. I'm thinking your opening price is optimistic. You may as well start high (no one will ever sell you up), but you might just have to be a little flexible. Either way, best of luck.

Regards,
Tim Engel
I'm not quite sure how to respond--or whether to reply--since discussion is limited in these ad listings. I've corresponded with several people about the car and have sent photos of the underside of the car and engine bay, as well as a summary of the maintenance history. And, yes, as I already announced in the beginning of the thread, the asking price is somewhat optimistic as I am well aware that some Esprit Turbos of this era have gone for less. Anyway, I appreciate the ideas and would welcome questions from prospective buyers via my email or PM. Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm not quite sure how to respond--or whether to reply--since discussion is limited in these ad listings.
Well, I hope you weren't offended... that wasn't my intent.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "discussion is limited in these ad listings", since this is an open forum where discussion isn't really limited at all, as long as it's polite. You may, understandably, prefer to hold individual purchase negotiations offline via e-mail or PM, but you have also posted a lot of bandwidth publicly in this forum. It's going to draw conversation. I conversed.

My comment about the lack of mechanical content comes from reviewing this message thread, above, and your ad at:
https://www.globalautosports.com/car/1986-Lotus-Esprit-Turbo-Coupe-165162.html
Between the two sites, lots of pictures of a wonderful looking car, just no mention of it's mechanical side. For some of us (I'm a wrencher) that's a significant omission. I didn't intend to offend. I was just pointing out that when you're selling to a mixed crowd, it's good to provide candy for everyone. Okay, if you wish, none of my business. Market as you prefer to market.

And, yes, as I already announced in the beginning of the thread, the asking price is somewhat optimistic as I am well aware that some Esprit Turbos of this era have gone for less.
My interest and opinion of it's value is probably piqued as a result of recent conversations between a friend and I, concerning where the market is going for Esprits in particular, and Lotus in general. I kinda threw you into the middle of that conversation without warning. Sorry. As I said before, I'll be watching your sale with interest.

Anyway, I appreciate the ideas and would welcome questions from prospective buyers via my email or PM. Thanks.
I'm up north, far from you, but my brother lives about 20 miles up the road, N-NW from you. Perhaps you'll accept a brew the next time I visit down there.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by, "discussion is limited in these ad listings", since this is an open forum where discussion isn't really limited at all, as long as it's polite.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Actually Tim, you are incorrect. The forum rules here are quite clear and specific about limiting discussion in 'for sale' threads. That's what Scott was referring to. Might be helpful for you to review.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.