The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly I must sell my car due to family priorities and a future relocation back to NC.

Street legal. Titled and registered in Florida. Located near Disney World. Signed by Grahm Nern. Inspected by Jez Coates. Touched by Paige Davis of "Trading Spaces". Unpainted and lots of spare parts:

1999 Caterham Seven DeDion. Original owner; built by GT Classics racing. 2.0L Ford Zetec 16V engine w/ cam upgrade (est 165hp), 5sp, heater, all weather gear, luggage rack, leather interior, carpets, racing curtains, header wraps, Lotus badges, Caterham badges, & more. Polished aluminum w/ green wings & nose. Spare parts include yellow nose w/ grill, fog & reverse lights, fender, 2nd bonnet & more. One bonnet personally autographed by Grahm Nern (retired owner of Caterham).

Can be viewed at http://kgbarrett.com/seven

Award winning car. Always garaged. About 9000 miles. Great shape (I still drive it). Asking $24,000. Contact: Keith Barrett, Orlando

Please help me find a good home for my car. As Lotus owners, you can appreciate how much I enjoyed it. I may even treat you to Disney World as a thank you.

-- Keith Barrett
[email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good price for a great car. Have all the niggling problems with the car mentioned on your website been resolved? Several years ago you noted it had 9K miles and it still has 9K. Sounds like its not been used much lately?

Any track days on it? How did it do? I expect prices are going up on new Caterhams as the dollar keeps sliding against the pound. Westfield just bumped its US price 15%.

USA7S has a for-sale section too where you can list this, if interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what specifically you are referring to. There are only 3 minor things I currently live with:

1. The oil pressure reads low at idle. There are no leaks. I am in the process of replacing the sensor (it has never been replaced before, so I'm not surprised).

2. The speedometer needle vibrates up and down a bit. it use to be rock steady, so this is probably a lubrication issue or the cable needs to be replaced. I will look into it after I replace the sensor.

3. The original battery died after 4 years and I replaced it with a less expensive matching BMW motorcycle battery. This works perfectly except that during the winter months of non-use I have to keep the car on a trickle charger or come spring the battery would be dead. I will supply the charger with the car. If you intend to race a lot, you probably want the higher duty original battery.

>Several years ago you noted it had 9K miles and it still has 9K. Sounds like its not been used much lately?

Yes but it's no mystery. When I moved here it was in the low 9k and now it's in the high end. I drive it A LOT less down here. In NC the weather and scenery are so fantastic I drove the car every week for months out of the year. In FL the weather is almost always hot, cold, buggy, or wet, so you only get a few weeks each year of nice driving. Also central FL is (IMHO) very ugly, so my scenic and work driving were limited to Celebration and Walt Disney World. They are only 5 miles apart. I do not know why people own convertables in FL.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Keith:

Your 2001-02 diary describes a series of ECU issues and I was wondering if those had been resolved (e.g.: ECU from a manual tranny car but your 7 has the wiring harness for an automatic so there were issues there, etc.). Did you ultimately go with the more aggressive cam?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lotuslvr said:
Keith:

Your 2001-02 diary describes a series of ECU issues and I was wondering if those had been resolved (e.g.: ECU from a manual tranny car but your 7 has the wiring harness for an automatic so there were issues there, etc.). Did you ultimately go with the more aggressive cam?

Thanks
I thought I already answered that; I only have the issues mentioned above. The forum rules say no discussions here, so please don't scare potentional buyers by asking after years old repairs and experiments. Every Seven is different and owning one means lots of unique experiences compared to mass produced vehicles. The diary is there to report on the fun of owning such a car. If it proves to be a barrier to selling it I should remove it until it's sold. I am not selling the car because it has any serious problems.

The situation you described was 5 years ago and I never said anything about a harness relationship. It was a dropping out of idle problem after the cam upgrade because my Zetec unknowningly had a special low emissions ECU instead a regular ECU. The low emissions ECU did not handle the changed engine performance well, even though Caterham's cam was within Ford specs. Replacing the ECU with a common one fixed it.

I have no ECU related issues other than the common problem other owners have that Sevens pass tailpipe emissions testing but not computerized testing because the ECUs don't have all of the same Ford sensor connections. When I lived in NC, I passed testing every year until they adopted computerized testing, then i had to get an annual waiver. In FL they don't test at all.

While I was into swapping ECUs, I also blogged on my idea to eliminate the automatic shift error codes by using an ECU from a manual transmission Ford, but this actually perfomed worse than the one I had so I dropped the idea. This is not considered a problem.

The best way to judge the car is to come try it. I am a simple mechanic and use the car for everyday driving, fun races, and shows. If you intend to compete with it you would be the best judge of whether anything needs to change. It only has a 3 point harness for example.

If anyone wants to talk about the car further, please feel free to email me.

Thanks

Keith
[email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I AM a potential buyer. That's why the questions:). Thanks for clearing things up. I am sure your answers above are helpful to other potential buyers as well. I will be in Orlando on business 6/11-12. I will contact you the week before I leave to arrange a visit, assuming the car is still for sale.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
kgbarrett said:
The diary is there to report on the fun of owning such a car. If it proves to be a barrier to selling it I should remove it until it's sold. I am not selling the car because it has any serious problems.
If the diary is a barrier to selling the car, the wrong person is trying to buy the car. Leave the diary. Your car will sell to the right person who will take care of it as you have done. Just MHO.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Keith's FAQ contains an extremely candid description of the car & thrill of 7 ownership, much like his entire web page. Biggest plus ?(IMHO) He bought it for $32K and is selling it 7 years later for $24K, or about the same depreciation as a typical car after 2 years. Hey, its an investment! In 7 more years it mite be back to $32K!

·
Registered
469 Posts
The first Lotus that I have memory of was a 7 up in Santa Barbara. My college roommate restored cars, and worked with Moss motors quite a bit. Anyways, he showed me a beautiful 7 and I've wanted one ever since. If Keith's car was in Socal, I would have an angry wife, less space on the driveway and a Caterham. Seeing that ad hurts inside I want it so badly. Guess it's a good thing he's in FL...

mg

·
Registered
176 Posts
I made a serious effort at buying this car but was not able to close the deal. Seller has advised me that it sold for well above the asking price last weekend. I am now set to buy a '97 Caterham located in NJ. (I pick it up tomorrow:)>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts