1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
that is cleeeeeeeeeeeeeean!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
70K+ miles does that though. BMW is not there to back it up if something expensive is broken.

·
Registered
547 Posts
looks nice. i was just over at new country in hartford to see if they had any old m3's in stock. they only had a convertible. (ugly!)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
70K+ miles does that though. BMW is not there to back it up if something expensive is broken.
I'd guess a 2002 model probably falls under the 100k M3 extension that BMW offered "on good faith" when the crank bearings started lunching themselves.

But yeah, in general, high mileage hits BMWs pretty hard. The non-M 3ers are the worst since they can occasionally be leased new for less than a used car loan will hit a buyer - makes them incredibly difficult to unload.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd guess a 2002 model probably falls under the 100k M3 extension that BMW offered "on good faith" when the crank bearings started lunching themselves.

But yeah, in general, high mileage hits BMWs pretty hard. The non-M 3ers are the worst since they can occasionally be leased new for less than a used car loan will hit a buyer - makes them incredibly difficult to unload.
You guys all seem to know a lot about M3s. I know peahee was looking at the other M3 posted up here awhile back and was talking to him about some of this stuff.

My dad had an '02 or '03 for a couple years and i have loved this car ever since. i'm thinking of getting one as a second car to beat around NYC and save the elise for truly nice days. i've been driving my elise year round as long as there is no ice or snow in the forecast. i could stand to be a little easier on it, i want to keep it forever now that i just paid it off.

Is 33k miles decent for an '03 or would you look even lower? what do you mean by the "crank bearings lunching themselves"... was that just '02 or do the '03 have the same problem? Do i have to make sure those have been replaced. I think from reading peahee's post i should make sure the Inspection II service is done at 30k because that will cost you what, 2-3k? What else do i have to be aware of? Do you think buying an '02-'04 is a bad idea or an OK idea?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
547 Posts
i've been looking around some more, i think i should have said "Inspection I" at 30k. any other advice on stuff to look out for would be good.

looks like anything built after July 03 doesn't need to rod bearing recall?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts