The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Chrome Orange Elise for sale located 150 miles west of Chicago. Very good condition with less than 3,000 miles. No hard top and no modifications. See http://www.britishcarsource.com/Vehicle/DisplayAd.asp?id=126 for more pictures and information. Only $29,000. Contact me at via email or 563-332-0788 if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just to let LT know, this is a salvage title Lotus. A good looking one thoughl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, it has “Prior Salvage” on the title, which is why it is priced thousands less than similar cars. The previous owner put the right rear over a curb, and repairs cost about $3,500. If you are interested in the car, I have a bunch of images from before the repair and all the receipts.

I know there are some in this forum that think any car with a prior salvage should be towed to a junk yard ASAP, but I drove it to an autocross last year instead. I won my class (Super Stock) convincingly, which included a 2006 Porsche Carrera and a 2007 Corvette. With the right tires, it would be a contender for FTD.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Correct, it has “Prior Salvage” on the title, which is why it is priced thousands less than similar cars. The previous owner put the right rear over a curb, and repairs cost about $3,500...
sorry but that simply does not compute. $30K cars are not declared total losses for $3,500 repairs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
have to really wonder about a seller when they fail to put the most important "feature" of the car in the ad. seems a little dishonest to me.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
$30K cars are not declared total losses for $3,500 repairs.
Yes, they are. Because it wasn't $3,500 in repairs if you did it the way Lotus would recommend (new clam and new tub [BTW, I'm guessing here]). If you 'fixed it' so that it would work without replacing the clam and the tub, guess what, it's only $3,500 in repairs.

A friend had a Lotus that went off at a new track and a rock managed to put a dent in the bottom of his tub. If you wanted to fix the dent the way Lotus would recommend (my guess is they would say new tub), guess what, the car is totaled. I can assure you that the car is safe, everything is cool and that the owner is still very happy with his car. But technically if you wanted to 'fix' his car, I'm sure that the insurance company would total it.

Not every salvage title car is an unsafe car. But that said, I'd look at one very, very carefully before I bought one and I'd pay appropriately for it too.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yes, they are. Because it wasn't $3,500 in repairs if you did it the way Lotus would recommend (new clam and new tub [BTW, I'm guessing here]). If you 'fixed it' so that it would work without replacing the clam and the tub, guess what, it's only $3,500 in repairs...
then that isn't a repaired car. that's a slapped-back-together car and would warrant even further disclosure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not trying to hide anything. In fact, it was the first thing I told Monsta when he called. I simply wanted to avoid speculation by those who have never seen the car and with no interest in purchasing it anyway.

I agree that no sane insurance company would sign off on a car with such little damage. It makes no sense. Yet I invite anyone to come and inspect the car and determine its roadworthiness and value.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Salvage title!

What not the tell the truth from the start?:thwack:

Lack of experience or ..Dishonesty? Why do this in Lotus forum?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not trying to hide anything. In fact, it was the first thing I told Monsta when he called. I simply wanted to avoid speculation by those who have never seen the car and with no interest in purchasing it anyway.

I agree that no sane insurance company would sign off on a car with such little damage. It makes no sense. Yet I invite anyone to come and inspect the car and determine its roadworthiness and value.
Well, there's an easy solution--put that the car is a salvage title in the original add. Then folks won't have to call you to hear to find out the bad news.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts