63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Lotus Elise
Magnetic Blue
Sport Pack, Touring Pack
Hard and soft tops
54,XXX miles
$40k

I am selling my 2005 Elise, Magnetic Blue. The car came with the Sports Pack and the Touring Pack, and is mostly stock, other than a few modifications listed below. I have owned the car since 2006, but there was one owner briefly before me. As you will see from the description below, the car is not a show car, and has some blemishes that a new owner may want to fix. Mechanically it is excellent though, and drives better than new in my opinion. I am selling as I just don’t use it as it should be used anymore.

Bought: Oct 2006. I am the second owner. The original owner bought it in 2005 in Arizona. He put 5400 miles on it and I bought it from him in San Jose, California. I live in Mountain View CA. Not currently smogged for CA.

The car was my daily driver for most of the years, and has been to the track ~8 times.

It is modified very lightly (other than the supercharger), with some basic things to make it more usable, more reliable, and more safe.

The supercharger is the Blackwatch Racing kit, installed in 2009 by myself and a professional mechanic, in his shop.

Cosmetically, the only modification is that I replaced the rear “Lotus” badging with the Lotus logo badge

Functional modifications:
  • Stiffer Engine Mount inserts
  • Titan Quick Rack Steering Rack, installed about 2000miles ago
  • Sector 111 RTV Brace
  • Kenwood KMM-BT325 Receiver with KSC-SW11 Power Subwoofer (installed at passenger footrest, can be removed during track day, or easily totally removed)
  • Sector 111 Bootie (Trunk organizer)
  • Sector 111 Micro Mirror
  • 4 point harnesses and Blackwatch Racing harness bar (stock seat belts still present and fully usable)
  • Front clam chin guard protectors: Clear, internally painted to match
  • Front tow hook
  • Oil Line Recall completed
  • Supercharger: BWR SC kit installed Oct 2009
  • Tires: Toyo R888, less than 500miles on this set

Accident History: Over the 15 years I owned it, the car got hit three times while parked. Twice I was parked in front of restaurants, and once in a residential area. I also had one track off, which required some body work. Each time the body work was done by United Collision Center, a premium auto body facility in Mountain View, CA. Each time the paint job got better! The Carfax shows two of these it appears, but disclosing all four so the buyer is aware. The last time was more than 7 years ago, so no recent body work.

Flaws/Blemishes:
  • The seats are very worn. They are functional, but a new owner may want to re-upholster. Additionally, I bolted the driver seat rail together, so it is not currently adjustable. It is set to the maximum distance back
  • The harnesses are past their expiration date
  • There are a few paint cracks. They have been there for several years and have not spread at all. I have not tried to have them buffed or repaired
  • Air conditioning does not blow cold (heat works fine)
  • Hard top interior cloth liner has been removed
  • Front right corner reflector is cracked
  • The trim around the steering column is a little cracked. Stays in place, but rattles a little
  • Driver seat belt is partially torn

Full Gallery (30 pictures):

Two embedded pictures here:

·
Administrator
7,337 Posts
Will be gone in......minutes

·
Registered
953 Posts
I agree... but Picture link not working either... may take up to an hour to sell...lol

·
Registered
2005 Elise
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the smog question: The car has no check engine lights, and sets all readiness codes correctly, has the stock cat, etc.. Should be no problem to pass smog in most places.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the smog question: The car has no check engine lights, and sets all readiness codes correctly, has the stock cat, etc.. Should be no problem to pass smog in most places.
California now directly checks the ECU check-sum and fails all aftermarket tunes. Just as FYI (this rule changed in the last month or two and killed a deal for an SC car I had agreed to buy - the seller could not find anyone in Bay Area to smog the vehicle and it would have required spare ECU + stock injectors for smogging).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like its been driven properly at least! What's all the wiring in the passenger footwell? Is it a piggyback system for the supercharger? Some transponder components?

·
Registered
2005 Elise
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is wiring for the subwoofer (power and audio from the head unit. Sorry that wiring is a bit messy. Can be removed entirely in 15minutes by the new owner, or cleaned up with a little more effort.

Still available. Glad to coordinate shipping for those out of state.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For a California buyer, it will have to be smogged prior to sale.

California now directly checks the ECU check-sum and fails all aftermarket tunes. Just as FYI (this rule changed in the last month or two and killed a deal for an SC car I had agreed to buy - the seller could not find anyone in Bay Area to smog the vehicle and it would have required spare ECU + stock injectors for smogging).
That's correct. Plus it would fail the visual inspection.

There are a few ways to (legally) correct that. One is to pick up the stock equipment and take it back to NA. A bunch of Elise and Exige owners (including myself) have those bits laying around. Another is to find an OEM supercharger and switch over, and then having the ECU taken back to an OE tune. This would be nearly impossible unless you find a wrecked Elise SC or Lotus supercharged car.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So if you had a SC and installed an extra (backup) ECU with a stock NA tune just or the inspection, would the car run well enough to get to the inspection station?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is an option, but you can't just do it for the inspection. All of the flags for smog readiness have to be set in the ECU, and that can take hundreds of miles potentially.

So if you leave the supercharger on, you have to run the car with a stock ECU for a significant amount of time. Depends on if you think that would be okay...

·
Registered
2005 Elise
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the discussion. Still available. Converting back to stock soon if no one out of state wants a killer deal. Feel free to make me an offer.

·
Administrator
7,337 Posts
Where is the full gallery?

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk
The view full gallery is the link click on it. Under the photos

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great car. If I were slightly further along in my financial goals I'd definitely send you an offer. Don't want to insult you with what I could afford right now, so will simply wish you GLWS. Hope you don't have to part out the mods, as they're tasteful.

·
Administrator
7,337 Posts
I must be blind...i dont see any link lol

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk
Scroll down under the 30 photos to view full gallery

1 - 19 of 19 Posts