The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: In case anyone missed it --- Build sheet here. Photo album here.
EDIT 2: Took some photos this evening and added them to the album. Posted a sampling below in
post #20.
EDIT 3: With some private feedback from prospective buyers I'll be lowering the price a bit to $55,000 OBO.

Well, guys. It is the end of an era; after much trepidation and hesitation, I have decided to sell my Exige. Located in Seattle, WA. Clean title in hand. Will ship at buyer's expense.

ENGINE
  • Honda K24A2 (stock internals) with an MPx90 supercharger. 16lbs of boost.
  • Removed harmonic balancers
  • Hondata KPro v3 ECU (car retains ABS but not traction control)
  • Making 311 hp and 261 ft lb TO THE WHEELS.
  • Fidanza lightweight flywheel
  • Custom wiring harness built by forum member Murray Hersh aka whatsADSM
  • Hybrid Racing coil pack cover
  • Hybrid Racing slim oil cap
  • K-Tuned oil dip stick (will also include a stock stick)
CHARGE COOLING
  • BOE Front HEX
  • MercRacing A2W charge cooler integrated into intake manifold
  • BOE swirl tank for charge coolant circuit
  • BOE Craig Davies EWP 80 kit (electric water pump)
  • Running PEAK Antifreeze + Coolant through the charge cooling circuit
ENGINE COOLING
  • BOE Pressurized Swirl Header Tank
  • Elise Parts triple pass aluminum radiator w/ single center mount 11” SPAL puller fan
  • K-Tuned Swivel Neck Thermostat w/ 180 degree thermostat
  • PEAK Antifreeze + Coolant
FUEL SYSTEM
  • BOE Surge Tank kit w/ Aeromotive FPR
  • Hybrid Racing fuel rail
  • Fuel Injector Clinic 775cc injectors
INDUCTION
  • Skunk2 74mm Pro Series K-Series throttle body (drive by cable system)
  • BOE ITG intake
  • T1 Motorsports fast response IAT sensor
  • GM 3 Bar MAP sensor
OIL SYSTEM / COOLING
  • Acura RSX Type-S oil pump assembly + windage tray
  • Moroso baffled oil pan w/ Fumoto drain valve
  • Mocal water-to-oil Laminova heat exchanger (factory dual front oil coolers have been deleted)
  • BOE catch can
  • AIM Sports oil temp + pressure sensors
  • Canton sandwich plate
  • Joe’s Racing remote oil filter mount
  • WIX 51060R oil filter
  • Red Line 5W40 synthetic engine oil
TRANSMISSION
  • 2007 Honda Civic Si gearbox. Gear-X helical cut, forged gearset w/ carbon-lined synchros
  • Ratios: 1st 2.313 / 2nd 1.650 / 3rd 1.304 / 4th 1.080 / 5th 0.958 / 6th 0.851
  • Gear-X final drive 4.389
  • WaveTrac LSD
  • Clutch Masters FX350 clutch
  • MTEC K20/24 race shift springs
  • SpeedFactory Racing heavy duty detent springs
  • Red Line 75W90 gear oil
  • Innovative Mounts axle set by Drive Shaft Shop
EXHAUST SYSTEM
  • HyTech Full Stainless Steel exhaust system (v-band clamps all around)
  • Denso oxygen sensor
  • Powderdex AFX wideband AFR sensor + gauge (vestigial from REV300 kit, not currently used)
GAUGE CLUSTER
  • AIM MXL Pista w/ AIM Hondata interface
ELECTRICAL
  • Big Crank ETX20L Battery
  • RLS battery bracket + battery cutoff switch
  • LED turn signal flasher relay (no fast blinking!)
INTERIOR
  • AliTech Precision Lotus shifter
  • AC deleted (removed compressor, condenser, dryer, and lines)
  • Jim Clayton hardtop bolts
  • Power windows
  • Leather Probax seats
  • InoKinetic aluminum carpet buttons
  • Sun visors deleted
  • Rear view mirror deleted
EXTERIOR
  • BOE Tilting Clam Hinge Kit
  • MWR Lift Point Kit (lifting on a two-post is now super easy)
  • Sector111 front tow hook
  • Carbon fiber front splitter
  • Difflow 5-Element Railer Jr Diffuser
  • RLS / NCI wide carbon fiber side scoops
  • RLS carbon fiber wing ends
  • Black front Lotus emblem and rear LOTUS + Exige decals (I really went for the storm trooper theme)
  • Black powder coated fuel door
  • GRP carbon fiber headlight buckets
  • GRP polycarbonate headlight lenses
  • XPEL headlight protective film
  • LED headlight halos / running lights
  • HID low-beams
  • 3M protective film on front clam (full coverage), rocker panels, turn signals, and side mirrors (it has started to yellow, unfortunately)
  • Driver + Passenger window tint
SUSPENSION
  • BOE full toe links
  • Bilstein shocks
WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES
  • Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels. 16x7 and 17x8. Satin black finish. Team Dynamics center caps. A few small nicks but no curb rash.
  • Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2 (205/45/16 and 245/40/17) Plenty of life left.
  • BOE HP full-floating rotors
  • BOE HP stainless steel vented caliper pistons
  • Carbotech XP20 pads front and rear
  • Stainless steel brake lines front and rear
  • ARP wheel studs

WHY ARE YOU SELLING?
I’m looking to get into more of a GT car. But mostly… I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that I’m a project person; once something is done, I have difficulty sitting with it. Of course, a project is rarely ever “capital D” done, but this is as far as I’m willing to take it at this stage in my life. I have so many other projects in the pipeline that I need to focus and prioritize. So off to a new home she goes.

THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS HIGHLY MODIFIED CAR?

I’d say someone who plans to track the car or who is looking for a weekend canyon carver. It’s streetable in its current form but it’s not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. The exhaust system is loud and burly and the AC has been deleted. Maybe a younger person or someone who is super hardcore will enjoy it as a street car.

WILL YOU REGRET SELLING? YOU GONNA MISS IT? THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I can’t stress enough how much this car and Lotus ownership means to me. Furthermore, WHAT it means to me. It’s been with me since a time in my life when I had a full head of hair. Many of the old guard here might actually remember when I first came around early in the first Obama administration. This automobile has been my indoctrination into the Cult of Cars and everyone here has taught me so much. I believe one of the first posts I ever made was asking how many intakes a car has. LOL indeed.

So, yeah, I’ll miss it. Dearly. But will I regret it? There are many regrets in my life, but my Lotus ownership experience, from its troubled beginnings to its poignant end, will not be one of them. Jury’s still out on what’s wrong with me, though.

HISTORY

I joined this forum way back in mid-March of 2006. The same year that my car was manufactured. It wasn’t until 2010 that I finally purchased my first Lotus (a Phantom Black 2007 Exige S which was, for those of you who remember, possibly cursed). After only a few months of ownership, I sold it because life had come crashing down around me. After being depressed for a while, I was jolted awake by the passing of my dear grandmother. As those of us inching closer to the grave will attest, a brush with the specter of mortality tends to realign your perceptions. I decided that I couldn’t let fear keep me from enjoying the things that moved me. That’s when I found forum member qu1Z selling his Exige with ~13,000 miles on the clock. Here is his original listing for the car. Yup, my car belonged to Mister Difflow himself. I flew out to Montana and drove the little beast home June 2011.

Later that year, after I had installed a BOE REV300 system, I road tripped from Seattle to LA via the Pacific Coast Highway. That was the first time experiencing the car in its natural habitat. Shooting its way down perfectly laid ribbons of road next to a soaring coastline. It was an incredible experience. You owe it to yourself to experience that drive before you shuffle off this mortal coil. After returning from the trip, I fell victim to being young and dumb and decided that I needed MOAR POWAH.

Enter the K-swap. Fateful decision, that was. I realized I was not up to the task and that’s when my long nightmare started. (You can read the entire sordid saga in my build thread.)

Long story short: the commissioned shop screwed me out of $17,000 and left the car inoperable. Had to go in and learn how to re-do everything (with help of a very knowledgeable friend). Engine ended up suffering catastrophic failure (blasting media was left in the valve cover). Yanked that engine out, got another one, installed it. Car ran fine until the transmission ate itself. Yanked that tranny out, bought a very expensive one, installed it. Ran fine, but exhibited rev hang issues. A year later I yanked EVERYTHING OUT AGAIN to re-design/re-plumb the charge cooling, engine cooling, and oil cooling systems. Was finally able to button everything up the day before I drove myself and my soon-to-be-wife to our wedding reception.

Actually, it occurs to me while writing this that I picked her up for our first date in this car. Huh.

In a poetic gesture of symmetry, I was able to share the PCH experience with my wife this past week. The car, having been torn apart and rebuilt several times by an idiot who a few years ago struggled to even change the oil, performed flawlessly over 2,200 miles. This time with MOAR POWAH.

We both loved the trip. And now, time for the Exige and I to move on.

What a journey.

DETAILS OF THE DEAL
I’m asking $55,000 OR BEST OFFER for the car.

Included in the sale:
  • Original manuals and original keys + fobs
  • Blackwatch Racing Unikey 2 / NuKey
  • OEM soft top with storage bag
  • Sector111 Trunk Bootie
  • Custom fitted indoor car cover
  • A full set of Carbotech Bobcat street pads
  • Wiring schematic for the custom harness
The chassis had a tick under 24,000 miles when I sold the stock powertrain. The K24A2 comes from a 2007 Acura TSX that had ~80,000 miles when I plucked it from the junkyard. I’ve since done 6,510 miles on the swap. That makes for ~30,510 chassis miles and ~86,510 engine miles.

I know buying someone else’s project, no matter how sorted, can be a bit freaky. As such, I will walk the buyer through the car in excruciating detail so you know as much about it as possible. There’s nothing I enjoy more than nerding out over the hard work that went into this thing. I’ve compiled a Google Spreadsheet that has all of the components of the swap. This doesn’t include all the small things like hoses, clamps, braided lines, AN fittings, etc. I don’t even want to know how much I spent on that stuff.

As per forum rules, any opinions on the asking price as a non-buyer, keep them to yourself or email them to [email protected]net. ;) Potential buyers, we can discuss price privately.

ANY GOTCHAS?
If you, buyer, ever get around to completing the following list, I implore you to contact me. It would be a moment to celebrate. (Figure I should tell you now so you won’t have to discover them later on your own.) I’ve listed them according to my own priorities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First up, exterior. Luckily, Aspen White hides spider cracking surprisingly well. But for full disclosure here is the summary.
(Please forgive the road trip grime!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRONT CLAM
I can tell the story for those who are interested, but basically the car wasn't strapped down on the trailer and when my friend hit the brakes while maneuvering in a parking lot the car rolled forward off the trailer and onto the trailer hitch ball. Luckily, it didn't punch through the clam but it is damaged. Hard to see unless you're up close.

ENGINE HATCH
Some idiot at the local Lotus dealership tried to close the hatch without first releasing the gas strut. When it didn’t budge he proceeded to yank down hard, cracking the hatch at the strut mount point. Also difficult to see unless you're looking at just the right angle.

REAR CLAM
With the rear clam off for over a year whole completing the swap project the clam received a little nick in the duckbill edge from being shuffled around.
There is also one small crack on the passenger side, behind the side scoop where it bolts to the rocker panel. This happened as I was tightening down the bolt. Lotus saw fit to use washers to space the bolts instead of using ones of proper length. So when I went to tighten this slightly over-long bolt it cracked the clam.

There are now the proper amount of washers, per OEM specifications (heh).

PASSENGER DOOR SAG
This isn't damage. But it bears mentioning. I'm not certain when this happened but the passenger door sags down a bit causing it to hit the striker before riding up and latching properly. I just lift slightly on the door when closing it. This is easily adjusted but access to hinge bolts requires front clam removal. Thanks, Lotus. To be clear, it looks completely fine when shut. Adjust it when you have the front clam off for repair?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second, and last, are miscellaneous small things in order of personal annoyance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4TH GEAR ODDITY
Under hard acceleration, when you suddenly let off the gas, 4th gear has a tendency to pop out. It’s fine if you ease off the gas or you’re accelerating up through the gears. But if you are entering a corner planning to stay in 4th, it’s kind of a pain. I’ve had the gearbox apart and inspected by a Honda Race Team mechanic and everything is within spec. It leads me to believe it’s either the gear oil I’m using or that the jolt from engine movement on decel physically pops it out somehow. So far it’s a mystery.

THROTTLE BODY
Throttle body PERIODICALLY sticks SLIGHTLY open at the closed position, causing engine to idle 100rpm higher than normal. (Nominal idle is 900rpm.) I’ve thought about upgrading to another throttle body, but this happens rarely, usually when idling a lot and the throttle body heats up a lot. Suspect thermal expansion screws with the springs.

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE READING
For some reason, the coolant temp reading in the AIM MXL reads about 5 - 8 degrees warmer than it actually is. Datalogging through KManager indicates as such. It will also get to 199F and won't go any higher until it starts showing 203F. The readout will jump between 199F and 203F. Anything below or above those two values will read normally, incrementing by 1 degree. To repeat, this is just the readout on the AIM MXL, actual coolant temps as shown by the ECU are normal. Hard driving or driving in 95+ degree heat the engine coolant and oil temps are rock solid.

AFR READING
Another quirk of the AIM MXL is that sometimes it doesn’t read the AFR data correctly and will just show 14.6. Usually on the next startup, it’ll operate normally. This is also a rare occurrence and again, it’s just the MXL not displaying it correctly. Datalogging the ECU shows AFR data reading just fine at all times.

BIGGER BATTERY
The battery in the car works fine. It's extremely ok. I would love to see a battery that has more cranking amps. Sometimes, if the battery has drained too much (like if I forget to use the cutoff switch and it sits for too long without a tender) it struggles to start the engine. It'll always start but if the Hondata daughter board doesn't get enough juice it fails to initialize properly and will set a safety rev limit of 4000rpm.

COOLANT RESERVOIR MOUNTING BRACKET
The bracket BOE includes for their pressurized swirl header tank is designed for the 2ZZ platform. With the K24 powerplant, it only has one mount point securing it. It’s actually quite sturdy as-is since it’s being held in place by the beefy radiator hoses, but to be really anal about it one could fab a bracket to really secure it in place.

HVAC CONTROL BACKLIGHT
The lights for the HVAC controls are out. Haven’t taken the time to chase down the issue. Controls still work, just no backlight.

CENTRAL DOOR LOCKING & TRACTION CONTROL BUTTONS
The AliTech Precision shifter has a carbon fiber plate to mount the hazard light, central door lock, and traction control switches. Because of the differences in various buttons Lotus used, AliTech wasn’t able to make a plate for each iteration. Currently, only the hazard light switch is mounted. The other holes are not quite the correct size for the other two. I seldom use the central door locking switch and the traction control no longer functions anyway.

STEREO SYSTEM
The rear speakers are long gone and I’ve been meaning to remove the front speakers and the head unit. In some hypothetical future I would mount the bias knob for BOE’s brake bias cage on a plate in place of the head unit. Or install the Porsche cubby temporarily. The stereo system in these things was always a joke anyway; I can count on two fingers the times I’ve listened to music in the car.

---------------------------------------------------------

PHOTO GALLERY HERE.

·
Administrator
1,530 Posts
Very complete and well done car and ad! GLWS!

Reactions: boyko.anthony

·
Administrator
1,530 Posts
I think you just did!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Love it and would absolutely be in the market until I saw the AC delete.

Was it a full AC delete or just no AC compressor? Meaning, did you remove the condenser, dryer, etc... or just left everything in place for someone to engineer an AC compressor that'll fit in the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Was it a full AC delete or just no AC compressor? Meaning, did you remove the condenser, dryer, etc... or just left everything in place for someone to engineer an AC compressor that'll fit in the engine bay?
Full AC delete. The Front HEX requires removal of the condenser to be fully functional. One could floor mount the Front HEX and cut away a bunch of bodywork, but I didn't want to compromise the performance of the heat exchanger in that way. I suppose someone could go and do the work to add it back in. The harness is already wired for AC. It wouldn't be too difficult to re-install the AC components and pay a shop to fab a bracket for the compressor and get the right length belt.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Likewise. I just don't want to deal with it. Great car though. Absolutely loved the VTEC.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I am 100% sure you could get AC back in the car for a reasonable sum if that was your only worry people and you would probably want to do it yourself as you would understand the tradeoffs you make. Or I bet if you offered him some amount for the car WITH ac he may be interested. Just speaking as someone who also owns a crazy modified car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am 100% sure you could get AC back in the car for a reasonable sum if that was your only worry people and you would probably want to do it yourself as you would understand the tradeoffs you make. Or I bet if you offered him some amount for the car WITH ac he may be interested. Just speaking as someone who also owns a crazy modified car.
I agree ^^^

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Likewise. I just don't want to deal with it. Great car though. Absolutely loved the VTEC.
I live in Seattle where it never gets hot enough to require AC in this car. I just drive with the windows cracked open slightly. But I completely understand if someone wants AC. At some point the direction of the car became increasingly track-oriented and AC just didn't really fit into the ethos anymore. I knew this would limit the buying audience should I have ever wanted to part ways with it, so I made that decision with open eyes.

Like I said before, it certainly is possible to re-install AC in the car. You'd just have to live with compromising the performance of the heat exchanger. For me, in my climate, it was a no-brainer to forgo a rarely used feature for maximized charge cooling.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Even though I had AC in my track car I never used it. Was just too lazy to rip it out. But I did have a complete cool shirt system in my car for those very hot & humid track days we get in the NE during the summer.

Reactions: GunAkimbo

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Full AC delete. The Front HEX requires removal of the condenser to be fully functional. One could floor mount the Front HEX and cut away a bunch of bodywork, but I didn't want to compromise the performance of the heat exchanger in that way. I suppose someone could go and do the work to add it back in. The harness is already wired for AC. It wouldn't be too difficult to re-install the AC components and pay a shop to fab a bracket for the compressor and get the right length belt.
That's not really correct. There are several that have installed the HEX and retained the AC. I understand removing it, but it isn't required.

You selling to go to another platform? If so what? I drove a GT3 today. It was pretty good.

San

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,415 Posts
Really good, well written advertisement! If only all sellers were like you. Sad to see you move on from the Lotus world but I get it.

Also like what you said about "As those of us inching closer to the grave will attest, a brush with the specter of mortality tends to realign your perceptions. I decided that I couldn’t let fear keep me from enjoying the things that moved me." You only live once, and you shouldn't put off your dreams for a single day. I lost 3 friends (all aged 30-50) in 2018 and it prompted me to go out and buy a Porsche 911 that I've always dreamed about.

Don't worry, I kept my Lotus too. :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's not really correct. There are several that have installed the HEX and retained the AC. I understand removing it, but it isn't required.

You selling to go to another platform? If so what? I drove a GT3 today. It was pretty good.

San
Yes, I'm aware of being able to retain AC. In order to do so, however, you would have to compromise on the efficacy of the Front HEX. I believe I stated as much above.

I'm sure the GT3 is pretty damn good! But as we all know, it's really really really difficult to touch the steering feel and feedback of the Elige platform!

Yeah, I think I'm wanting to get into an NSX long term. Original NSX, mind you. Not the spaceship version.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts