The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
re:Smog.

The legal answer: It's modified, and is not CA legal.

The truth: When I had the car tuned, it was programmed WITH the readiness codes, so it passes an OBDII read. It still has a cat, and passes the sniffer. The only "issue" is visual. 1- if the person knows it's an N/A car, they'll notice the giant intercooler when they pop the hood. 2- the vacuum diagram provided OEM is no longer accurate, and is a dead give-a-way.

You could get a vacuum diagram from an 07+, and stick it on there... but that's on you!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Whew, it is hot and humid out. I just finished putting the stock cat, exhaust, diffuser and rear panel back on the car. Rocker panel xpel replacement is scheduled for next week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the worst case scenario for bringing this car into CA? Take it to get smogged, it doesn't pass visual, pull off the supercharger for inspection, and drop it back on for "track use" afterwards? $ estimates for the on-and-off with the supercharger, intercooler, etc? Will it require a stock ECU once the supercharger is pulled?

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the worst case scenario for bringing this car into CA? Take it to get smogged, it doesn't pass visual, pull off the supercharger for inspection, and drop it back on for "track use" afterwards? $ estimates for the on-and-off with the supercharger, intercooler, etc? Will it require a stock ECU once the supercharger is pulled?
Bump with the hope that someone can answer these questions.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Elise_Noodle,

The effort of bringing this car back to NA would be an undertaking. The intake manifold, injectors, tune, belts, all would need to be swapped out.

That said, it shouldn't be required. Look, without getting myself in trouble, I lived in CA for several years with this car, and it passed smog at the bi-annual check, and when I put it up for sale (while I sold out of state, I smogged it so I could add "smogged and ready to go" to my for sale ad).

Now, with every used car, it's buyer beware. To my knowledge, Kazi is selling it with the cat, and has not altered the tune, nor the power output (pulleys, injection, etc). If the buyer is concerned, they can call the local Lotus tuner shops in CA to find out more information.

People buy modified (aftermarket, non-OEM, non-CARB, modified&S/Ced) cars all the time, and they bring them into, and out of CA. Of all the post-new-sale SC cars, this one should be the LEAST concerning. It's SCed with the Lotus OEM parts off an '07.

As noted earlier:

re:Smog.

The legal answer: It's modified, and is not CA legal.

The truth: When I had the car tuned, it was programmed WITH the readiness codes, so it passes an OBDII read. It still has a cat, and passes the sniffer. The only "issue" is visual. 1- if the person knows it's an N/A car, they'll notice the giant intercooler when they pop the hood. 2- the vacuum diagram provided OEM is no longer accurate, and is a dead give-a-way.

You could get a vacuum diagram from an 07+, and stick it on there... but that's on you!

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,620 Posts
Elise_Noodle,

The effort of bringing this car back to NA would be an undertaking. The intake manifold, injectors, tune, belts, all would need to be swapped out.

That said, it shouldn't be required. Look, without getting myself in trouble, I lived in CA for several years with this car, and it passed smog at the bi-annual check, and when I put it up for sale (while I sold out of state, I smogged it so I could add "smogged and ready to go" to my for sale ad).

Now, with every used car, it's buyer beware. To my knowledge, Kazi is selling it with the cat, and has not altered the tune, nor the power output (pulleys, injection, etc). If the buyer is concerned, they can call the local Lotus tuner shops in CA to find out more information.

People buy modified (aftermarket, non-OEM, non-CARB, modified&S/Ced) cars all the time, and they bring them into, and out of CA. Of all the post-new-sale SC cars, this one should be the LEAST concerning. It's SCed with the Lotus OEM parts off an '07.

As noted earlier:
Great post. I think the Koldfire tune is a problem in CA (due to required values that will fail).

I would recommend a BOE tune that would remedy that and give more power/torque and the ability to change tunes on the fly. Obviously I would recommend you talk to Phil at BOE.

I wouldn't even think about going to NA to avoid requirements. Way to expensive and just isn't worth it IMHO.

San

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Great post. I think the Koldfire tune is a problem in CA (due to required values that will fail).

I would recommend a BOE tune that would remedy that and give more power/torque and the ability to change tunes on the fly. Obviously I would recommend you talk to Phil at BOE.

I wouldn't even think about going to NA to avoid requirements. Way to expensive and just isn't worth it IMHO.

San
FYI, Phil was involved in the tuning of this car. The readiness codes are set, and as stated, it did pass smog in CA before, with this tune.

I'm always a fan of retuning though, especially since Kazi upgraded cooling, etc.

-JM

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I also have a set of higher CC injectors and connection adapters I can negotiate into the sale in case someone wants to upgrade to a BOE tune

21 - 33 of 33 Posts