The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vin: SCCPC11176HL81468

Selling my 2006 Exige which came with the options of: LSD, touring and track packages. It has about 32K of miles and while I'm the 5th owner (2 of the owners were brokers), I have owned the car for the past 7 years and have put over 10K of miles on it, so rest assured. The car currently has a BOE Rev-300 installed on it and is making an incredible 250Whp and is very fast and capable. Clean title in hand.

The Bad:

The reason I'm selling is that I damaged my motor at a track day by running my fuel tank too low. The motor still runs and can be driven but it will blow out the dip stick if driven hard. The compression test confirmed that the motor is in bad shape (200psi on two cylinders and 150 on the other 2).

The car also had a checked history before I owned it. The PO stated that the original owner had hit a tire barrier and had the front clam replaced. When I had the front clam off, I also noticed that the front crash structure looks like it was replaced also. But past that, there is zero evidence of damage.

The front steering ball joint rubber boots are torn and the BOE drop joint rubber boots are cracked, both should be replaced. As is on all Elise/Exiges, the front fender liners are pretty much worn thru and in terrible shape.

The need to mention:

I did one body mod that can not be reversed (I tried to mod the car so you could go back to stock). I opened up the roof scoop The 2006 Exige has its scoop blanked off. Everyone that looks at the car is drawn to the dang roof scoop and the look of disappointment when they see its fake was too much for me to take. Now its a crowd pleaser and hear people saying how cool it is now. But its not perfect but so far, I'm the only one who knows its not right.

I also found a good sized chip on the front fender. Its still attached but it wouldn't take much for it to come off. I want to just glue it back on but I might make it worse...

The good:

Everything works (AC, windows, locks, stereo, lights, etc... not too many lotus cars can say that). The car drives perfect! Even with the bad motor, it still pulls like mad to redline and it passed California emission testing even with the Rev-300. The car has new'ish paint (about 3 years old) as the front clam paint didn't match. Even the interior is in good shape and I've gone thru great lengths to get rid of most rattles (all Exiges rattle). The car has had zero accidents or any kind of damage while I owned it. The Transmission was rebuilt when I had the Rev-300 installed as 2nd gear was grinding and I had the taller (Celica) 6th gear installed.

On a track, this car is a terror. It will take a $100K plus car to beat it. Even on the straight with the Rev-300, i was able to keep with some serious machines (Gt3s and one ACR viper come to mind). With out the Rev-300, I had to let even standard BMW 330i's by on the straights.

Again, I've owned the car for the past 7 years and have got to known it well. The car is solid and I've done a ton of work to bring her back to her formal glory. The Exige is appreciating in value now and its been awhile since I've seen a decent one for sale for a decent price.

I am hoping I can sell the car as-is but as I always like to make things complicated, so I'm going to offer two options. The first is "Parted out". This will be the cheaper option and it will only include the parts that I can not take off easily. The 2nd option and the best bang for the buck, its the As-is. Take everything.

Mods that will come with the parted out option:

Rev-300 (250 whp) (all the stock parts will be included)
BOE Front Drop Joints
Letsla short shifter
S111 Panel Eliminator (I hacked up my stock panel)
Sabre LED headlights
S111 DS Brace (eliminated the Track pack bar)
Moroso Oil Pan
CF Door Pulls
Aluminum Flywheel and ACT Clutch
Black Alcantara Headliner
CF Rear mud flaps
Rear Center Hardtop clamp
Infinity Speakers
Back Up Camera on a Kenwood single Din 3" Screen HU
Light weight battery (10Lbs)
Uni-Key

Option "As-is" mods: (all stock parts are included also)

Penske SA Coil overs (Brand new, less than 1K of miles)
HK Fever CF Rear wing
HK Fever CF side skirts
HK Fever center console
CF Rear center console.
Sonic Fury Exhaust
Inokinetic Sport Cat
2pc brake rotors (F/R)
Ferodo DS2500 brake pads (F/R)
Diflow Diffuser Jr model(not on car but included)
Reverie CF Diffuser (center exhaust cut out patched)
Personal Steering wheel (horn works!)
Lotus OEM Euro rear panel (Above diffuser exhaust panel, super super rare now)
Inokinetic rear tow hook (BBhook)
RLS Dual Cup holder (Super rare)
RLS Phone holder
Battery Tender
Lotus shop and parts manuals.
Rear Pioneer Sub woofer
S111 Fire Extinguisher mount with Tiny Car Extinguisher.
Track Package Harness Bar.
Gawr 7" Dash (the stock dash is at 29K of miles and will need to be corrected)
Pioneer Stereo HU (DEH-PRS80), super high quality HU.

Lastly, the wheels. I do not have the stock wheels but I do have two aftermarket sets. The "Parted out" option only includes the Rota Wheels.

1) Team Dynamics 1.2 17x7 Front and 17x9 Rear with Michelin PS tires (Street) (plus an extra set of 17x9 wheels)
2) Rota stock sized wheels with RE-71R tires. (Track)

So the "As-is" option is $45K, firm. If you want a few grand off, I can take off the coil overs or maybe take some other parts off.

The "Parted out" option is $40K firm.

Lastly, I know the bad engine sucks but keep in mind that you are not paying top dollar for a car with a bad motor. I can have a Brand new motor installed for $5k more if you wish. (Brand new, as in you will need to break it in).

Ken (949)468-9274 (Text preferred)

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
The car is very tastefully modded - should be gone pretty soon. What are you moving on to?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,189 Posts
Driving with the fuel tank near empty can cause catastrophic engine damage?

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
370 Posts
Driving with the fuel tank near empty can cause catastrophic engine damage?
On the track if you are talking a hard left the fuel sloshes right (the pump is on the left side of the tank). Starvation, boom!!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,189 Posts
...the fuel sloshes right...Starvation, boom!!
Dang. I knew lateral g-forces could cause oil starvation and engine damage with the non-baffled OEM oil pan, always thought if you starved the engine of fuel it would just stall...good lesson, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
PM'd you about a part if a part-out happens.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Dang. I knew lateral g-forces could cause oil starvation and engine damage with the non-baffled OEM oil pan, always thought if you starved the engine of fuel it would just stall...good lesson, thanks for sharing!
It's mostly only a problem for supercharged engines or super high compression engines operating close to knocking all the time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The car is very tastefully modded - should be gone pretty soon. What are you moving on to?
I'm still not sure but right now if the car sold, I'd go and look at 991 year range 911's as a back seat and automatic might give me more reasons to drive it. I stopped tracking and was even saying this last track was might be my last..

Here's the first session from that last track day, you'll see me playing with a full race prep'd ACR Viper. If you turn up the volume, you'll hear my engine sound really bad after the sharp right hander and then I had to limp back in to the pits. BTW, it would sound fine by time I got back into the pits and I also drove home that day with it!

https://youtu.be/4PA0m_JlF7s

But I still remember two years ago at this exact track, had about 1/2 tank of gas and hit that long left hander and the engine sputtered under full throttle. But I thought it was fine and didn't really notice the excessive blow by till the track day. Its probably consuming oil but I don't drive it enough to notice.

The Lotus is the ultimate track car, the fact that you can get a brand new Toyota Short block for around $2k and get it installed for $1700, is amazing. The bad thing is that you need to take care of all the econobox short comings to which I didn't and I knew I had to keep the tank full.. Just forgot that one time..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm still not sure but right now if the car sold, I'd go and look at 991 year range 911's as a back seat and automatic might give me more reasons to drive it. I stopped tracking and was even saying this last track was might be my last..

Here's the first session from that last track day, you'll see me playing with a full race prep'd ACR Viper. If you turn up the volume, you'll hear my engine sound really bad after the sharp right hander and then I had to limp back in to the pits. BTW, it would sound fine by time I got back into the pits and I also drove home that day with it!

https://youtu.be/4PA0m_JlF7s

But I still remember two years ago at this exact track, had about 1/2 tank of gas and hit that long left hander and the engine sputtered under full throttle. But I thought it was fine and didn't really notice the excessive blow by till the track day. Its probably consuming oil but I don't drive it enough to notice.

The Lotus is the ultimate track car, the fact that you can get a brand new Toyota Short block for around $2k and get it installed for $1700, is amazing. The bad thing is that you need to take care of all the econobox short comings to which I didn't and I knew I had to keep the tank full.. Just forgot that one time..
It‘s amazing how you’re able to keep up with that beast. GLWS - motors need to be placed all the time and this should not be a reason for the buyers to not purchase the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts